T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Newbie in need of assistance. Please be kind.
I wanted my t-shirt to look like the image on the left, but the test run (on the right) looks terrible.
100% organic cotton shirt. White fabric. My contact at the printer has suggested that I obtain a "sharper" graphic. (I sent them the "original idea" PSD file below.) Is it the graphic or is it the printing or is it the fabric? Am I trying to do too much with my graphic? Any insights would be great. They did another totally different image for me -- a colorful bird with some palm fronds -- that came out beautiful.
(Quick and dirty side-by-side comparison so apologies the images don't line up perfectly.)
Building Window Art Font House

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
The fault is 50/50.
Some white elements of the design look way too small. That's your fault.
Other elements however, like that double gate in the middle should print fine.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Same principles apply.
Depending on the fabric, ink will spread by around 0.5pt to 1pt in every direction.
So if you have two 2pt parallel black lines with just 2pt space between them, you may end up with one solid 8pt line.
if you look at the two railings in the bottom left, it seems the line thicknesses are ok to print
but the spacing is probably minimum required (compared to the other examples in the design)

notsofrequentflyer just needs to re-draw with these parameters in mind

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
if you look at the two railings in the bottom left, it seems the line thicknesses are ok to print
but the spacing is probably minimum required (compared to the other examples in the design)
The part you mention would be OK to print, but I think the design has been modified before printing.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I'm extremely curious to know how you came to that conclusion because my initial test was about 9" wide, not 16", but anyway...
9x4 is 4 times larger than 4x2. So it is exactly what I thought.

here it is at about 3.875" (9.8425cm) wide. Still far more detail than the result the OP got ;).
Your print is excellent for the given artwork, and this is why I said the fault is 50/50.
The double gate in the center came out fine... just like I said it should.

This is not hard to do, but the question now is... will it look as good after 5 regular washes? and I do mean regular.
I doubt it, and this is why I took it easy on the other printer for trying by using more ink.
Personally, I'd simply refuse to print this in DTG.
I'd happily screen-print it with heavily reduced plastisol and a 280 mesh screen.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts