T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Could anyone throw some light on Why we need White base on our dark tshirt? What is White base . Is it different Screen we need to make for whole design? And if it is then do we apply white ink on tshirt first using that screen and then start applying our colors through other screens?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
At the best, plastisol ink is far from opaque. Colored inks applied to dark shirts will appear dull. A white underbase allows the inks true colors to show. The white underbase should cover the entire design except for a little choke to keep the white from showing. Most ink manufacturers make a white just for underbase. You want as light a coat of white as possible so use a high mesh screen, 230 or above. If you have white in the design then you need a separate screen of that. The proper sequence: white base, flash, design from lightest color to darkest. God Bless.

·
Registered
71 Posts
the 230 mesh sounds like a high mesh to get a white through. i am sure you will be running your job on a manual press. it is rare that i use a 230 for a base unless it is a process. 110 or 155 might be easier to get the ink through

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
The heaviest screen I use anymore is a 156, and I do like it since it adds enough ink to mat down the fibers and make for a really smooth print. As for underbasing, especially if it's going to be a halftone image on top like simulated process, a 195 or 230 is great. I have a small upper-left chest logo imprint I do frequently, and use some 260 mesh for both the underbase and overprint. You can hardly feel the print and it's nice and bright.
Two whites that pass easily through a 230 are Union's Bright Cotton White and QCM's XOLB-158 Glacier White.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts