T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
It will take a while for it to go away. I think we are seeing a second wave of band wagon jumpers right now. Some of the designs are cool looking, but most are just crap thrown on a tee.

For the most part it was all about the rock'n'roll bad boy image. It will be interesting to see what comes next. I just read an article about how much the "tweens" influence the markets. If that is true, then look for a Cindy Lauper 80's revival. I've already seen leggings and tights making a comeback. Forgive us Lord.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If people stop buying them.... then people will stop making them....lol
I kinda dig skull grungy designs... if done right...

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Its a great big and growing crossover market from music, bikers, skaters, extreme sports, and the ever popular tatooing venture. Next wave will be parody of the reality show trama inflicted on the tv market followed by political and environmental parody inflicted by a non representational leadership. This will be followed by a new found following of the true surfer look. We will end with wings and hearts until the skulls resurge with smiles, holding pancakes with grills!

·
Registered
231 Posts
It's trendy/popular right now (but always has been and I suspect always will be with the counter-culture, so it's not ever going completely away).

What I am tired of seeing are the same cliparts over and over again (damn you GoMedia, daaaaamn youuuuu :p ). While they do look good when used properly, it's made the designs less interesting due to a lack of originality.

...so on to chibi anime stylings as protest! :p

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the 2 designs shirts that "inspired" this post:

The skulls aren't the central image in either design, but if they weren't there, I might consider buying either of the shirts.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Its a great big and growing crossover market from music, bikers, skaters, extreme sports, and the ever popular tatooing venture. Next wave will be parody of the reality show trama inflicted on the tv market followed by political and environmental parody inflicted by a non representational leadership. This will be followed by a new found following of the true surfer look. We will end with wings and hearts until the skulls resurge with smiles, holding pancakes with grills!
After reading this ,I now know who my new Idol is, David my friend ..... I salute you and your vision ..... JB

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

another cool design that I probably would have bought if it weren't for the skull

·
Registered
8 Posts
The designs above aren't really what come to mind when thinking about skull designs. Those are just designs that happen to have a skull in there somewhere. The over-use of skulls can be found in a lot of ed-hardyesque designs.

To answer the question brought up in the OP, skulls have always been popular one day, then retired the next. I would normally just chalk it up to a fad, but that wouldn't be doing it any justice. A fad is like when bellbottoms made a return a couple of years ago. Skulls deserve a lot more credit as they have always held some symbolism, despite how cliche they may seem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are always new ways to show them. With the tribal tattoo art wave we are in now skulls fit right in. But you can take any kind of art and throw a skull in and suddenly it will appeal to a whole new type of audience.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts