T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a move back to my hometown and would like to open an embroidery shop. Currently, I don't think there are any embroidery shops in the area, at least not one with a storefront. I do a small amount of embroidery now for fun, but I would say I'm still very much a newbie. Anyway, I'm just wondering how you ended up in the business and what advice you might have for someone that's interested in starting an embroidery business.

· Registered
2,667 Posts
I was looking for a way to earn an income while taking care of my son. I have a MA in a design field, had worked in an artistic capacity and liked to work with my hands so I thought embroidery might work. My husband had helped a friend with the computer side of her embroidery business so we knew something about it and I knew a sign maker who said he would send me his embroidery jobs. I also live close to Atlantic City so it was easy for me to attend ISS to learn about the business.

Although I knew when I started my business that there were many competitors in my area I didn't realize how many more there actually were. You may find that is the true in your hometown. Lots of competition isn't necessarily bad if you can find a niche that is profitable and works for you. My local competition forced me to concentrate on selling online and that totally worked for me.

I recommend having a niche (although I really don't have one) because its easier to keep your prices up and you become the "go-to" person in that area. If you haven't already had software training (embroidery and graphics) I would do that. If you can attend a trade show and take classes that would be great. Take advantage of online support groups and publications. Take time to get some experience but when you start your business remember that you are the expert. Don't price too low or accept bad jobs (difficult to hoop, not worth the work). Its better to spend your time on marketing, organizing, maintenance or learning a new skill rather than working for next to nothing. Good Luck!

· Registered
51 Posts
I'm considering a move back to my hometown and would like to open an embroidery shop. Currently, I don't think there are any embroidery shops in the area, at least not one with a storefront. I do a small amount of embroidery now for fun, but I would say I'm still very much a newbie. Anyway, I'm just wondering how you ended up in the business and what advice you might have for someone that's interested in starting an embroidery business.
I just decided one day I'd like to do it, intending it to be for fun. Within 6 months I'd gone from a small single needle to a PR machine. Add another 6 months and I added ab tajima. Fast forward to 3yrs and I run three tajima and three happy machines and business is growing faster than I can keep up with.

Advice...I taught myself completely through YouTube videos and I joined lots of groups. Once I decided how I liked to do things and which stabilisers I wanted I have stuck to them.

Feel free to pop me a PM if you want to chat.

Sent from my G3221 using Tapatalk

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.