T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just made this new design for a ladies t-shirt. It is a mix of clip art and some custom. Actually I made it on a whim.
Ladies Margarita Parrot Ladies V-Neck T-Shirt by Island Jay | Island Jay Caribbean Wear | Celebrating the Caribbean Island & Beach Life

I released it about 5 days ago. In 5 days it has out performed any other release I have have to date since I launched the brand over a year ago.

Aside that the colors pop, and I am selling a Parrot/margarita on a tropical web site, I would love opinions about this. What was a key element that made this generate sales above and beyond any other?

All Ladies S/S S/s T-Shirts | Island Jay Caribbean Wear | Celebrating the Caribbean Island & Beach Life

Thank you!
Jason

· Registered
729 Posts
I found this design more feminine than your other ladies' shirts that are currently in the store. Also the model you use on the other shirts looked fake. This shirt did not have a model and was easier to picture what it would be like to wear.

· Registered
743 Posts
What an outstanding T-Shirt! Here's my thoughts. The colors pop, the image has a sense of playfulness and delight, you offer it in a selection of shirt colors, and you've used a V-Neck shirt.

To paraphrase what Greg Kitson says in his ISS classes, nobody wants to buy just another T-Shirt but everybody wants to buy a memory. I think this particular shirt nails it on letting people buy a memory, especially after just having a margarita and ambling past shops with a lovely "Not a worry in the world" buzz.
It also holds great gift value since people feel very generous when they are out with their significant other and get to experience the pleasure of being in the moment.

Finally, not everyone looks good in white or black. Having additional colors for the shirts was a good idea. Black is really popular but a lot of ladies avoid black and white as too stark and prefer to go with a color. Also, the V-neck provides just a hint that "the girls" are feeling carefree as well.

Congrats on the hit! Thanks for sharing. Awesome shirt.

· Registered
158 Posts
What an outstanding T-Shirt! Here's my thoughts. The colors pop, the image has a sense of playfulness and delight, you offer it in a selection of shirt colors, and you've used a V-Neck shirt.

To paraphrase what Greg Kitson says in his ISS classes, nobody wants to buy just another T-Shirt but everybody wants to buy a memory. I think this particular shirt nails it on letting people buy a memory, especially after just having a margarita and ambling past shops with a lovely "Not a worry in the world" buzz.
It also holds great gift value since people feel very generous when they are out with their significant other and get to experience the pleasure of being in the moment.

Finally, not everyone looks good in white or black. Having additional colors for the shirts was a good idea. Black is really popular but a lot of ladies avoid black and white as too stark and prefer to go with a color. Also, the V-neck provides just a hint that "the girls" are feeling carefree as well.

Congrats on the hit! Thanks for sharing. Awesome shirt.
I've got to agree with Myra about the colors and the design. I also like you putting the front off-center. I've seen it done a little, but that looks REALLY good to me. Congratulations on a job well-done, Dane

· Registered
5 Posts
I think that this targets to younger people, for me the "pictures" and sayings are "older" feeling. I love the fact that it has no words just the pics......lets people the ability to have it mean what they want it to mean. The V-neck has helped big time, women want v-necks but they are hard to find as a consumer especially with the young feel that I was referring to. And it is has an "artistic" or free spirited look to the design with the roughness, which adds to the feel, it is not just your everyday parrot.

Now a few question for you......how do your customers find your site? How long have you had it? Is this the only site that you sell from or do you use other outlets that they can buy from? Or do you use other outlets that direct them to your site? I am so wanting to start a "retail" line on the internet but very intimidated by the whole idea of it and have NO idea how to drive traffic to it. Any advice would be appreciated.

· Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think that this targets to younger people, for me the "pictures" and sayings are "older" feeling. I love the fact that it has no words just the pics......lets people the ability to have it mean what they want it to mean. The V-neck has helped big time, women want v-necks but they are hard to find as a consumer especially with the young feel that I was referring to. And it is has an "artistic" or free spirited look to the design with the roughness, which adds to the feel, it is not just your everyday parrot.

Now a few question for you......how do your customers find your site? How long have you had it? Is this the only site that you sell from or do you use other outlets that they can buy from? Or do you use other outlets that direct them to your site? I am so wanting to start a "retail" line on the internet but very intimidated by the whole idea of it and have NO idea how to drive traffic to it. Any advice would be appreciated.
Good question, and one that is not summed up in a quick post. In fact, after 15 months since I launched, I am still learning about branding and creating my own brand. This is after a 16 year background of creating retail stores, multi million dollar ecommerce sites, warehouses, and building a reputation as a retailer. Brand building from the start is unlike anything else.

Traffic? It was for a while Facebook, as I generated over 15,000 likes. http://Facebook.com/IslandJay. But Facebook is changing, so I have been getting on Google Shopping. I sell a bit on eBay, Amazon, Etsy, and soon to be sears.

Make no mistake, it is daunting. It is an uphill battle. It takes balls, courage, disappointment, stress, time, money, and effort that you did not know you had. You have to constantly accept change and be willing to shift gears. What you thought would work, would not, or may work better than planned. I learned fast with branding that what you set for a company logo, motto, design, mission statement needs to be flexible until you hone it down to what you really need to do.

And to top it off, the product/service needs to be damn good in this flooded market we live in.

Find several mentors. Find people willing to give you free advice who have the true experience. They are out there and will usually gladly chat if they see your efforts are genuine.

· Registered
8 Posts
I just made this new design for a ladies t-shirt. It is a mix of clip art and some custom. Actually I made it on a whim.
Ladies Margarita Parrot Ladies V-Neck T-Shirt by Island Jay | Island Jay Caribbean Wear | Celebrating the Caribbean Island & Beach Life

I released it about 5 days ago. In 5 days it has out performed any other release I have have to date since I launched the brand over a year ago.

Aside that the colors pop, and I am selling a Parrot/margarita on a tropical web site, I would love opinions about this. What was a key element that made this generate sales above and beyond any other?

All Ladies S/S S/s T-Shirts | Island Jay Caribbean Wear | Celebrating the Caribbean Island & Beach Life

Thank you!
Jason
HI,
I thought it was more artistic, less generic. I also liked that it didn't have any typeface on it. The words make some of the other shirts look like an ad.

· Registered
5 Posts
Thank you so much for your advice!! I do realize that what I am wanting to do is an up hill battle that will take time and perseverance. And as you said the market is flooded!! I will have to check out the google shopping...facebook has deff. changed. It have allot of ducks to get in a row before I get ready to launch, Thanks again for the insight and if you don't mind I may call on you if I have a question I get stumped on or just plain scared about :)

· Registered
56 Posts
I agree with the "Buffet" reference. It is very reminiscent of the "Caribbean Soul" line line which featured all of Buffets lyrics and art. It really does pop of the page as well and the v-neck style is more feminine as mentioned. Nice job! Congrats!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.