T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are my shirts turning yellow after pressing? Im also getting a paper square with my subpaper!!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
What t-shirts are you pressing? What is your temperature and time?

If you go to sublimation section of the forums and search on press lines and paper lines you'll find a lot of threads with discussing the subject.
Most common ways to avoid press lines are:
- set the pressure to light
- tear carefully the edge of the transfer paper so it will be "soft" and leave less impression
- use a foam insert to elevate printing area and make sure your transfer paper ia a little bit larger than the insert - this way paper edges will over-hang the insert and will not even come in contact with the shirt.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

If you go to sublimation section of the forums and search on press lines and paper lines you'll find a lot of threads with discussing the subject.
- tear carefully the edge of the transfer paper so it will be "soft" and leave less impression
- use a foam insert to elevate printing area and make sure your transfer paper ia a little bit larger than the insert - this way paper edges will over-hang the insert and will not even come in contact with the shirt.
There is a foam type piece on the bottom of my press...Came with it. Kinda feels like a mouse pad. I am pressing cotton and polyester tees. The cotton ones seem to be worse with the yellowing...Should I get some kraft paper? I have an order of 1000 shirts coming up and need to get this right! Thank you for the help

Daniel

·
Registered
116 Posts
Some 100% cotton do this but check the next day if the yellowish has faded away.
If not, change the shirt supplier or ask for a different batch.
I only buy from one supplier and it has happened that shirts yellowed. The next order I bought didn't yellow at all. I have no idea why. It only happened once.
And yes, I recommend parchment (baking) paper. Doesn't matter if its the brown or white stuff.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I would also check your ink . It could be the temp and your ink . Are you using pigment ink ?
You might be scorching the shirts also .

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
There is a foam type piece on the bottom of my press...Came with it. Kinda feels like a mouse pad. I am pressing cotton and polyester tees. The cotton ones seem to be worse with the yellowing...Should I get some kraft paper? I have an order of 1000 shirts coming up and need to get this right! Thank you for the help

Daniel
You can purchase rubber shapes (similar to what is on the bottom of your heat press) to elevate your print area so that only the size of the area of your transfer is getting the heat.

·
Registered
132 Posts
1000 shirts and you are doing them in-house????? Crazy! That screams for farming out for full color screen printing. One of the most important decisions a business owner can make is when to do the work and when to farm it out. And don't tell me you priced it too low to farm out. Get quotes from a couple of screen printing houses. Then realistically calculate your hard costs for the order. That will leave you with how much you're being paid to do the order. Also take into account how long it will take. Now how much are you making per hour?

Reactions: paulgoosen

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some 100% cotton do this but check the next day if the yellowish has faded away.
If not, change the shirt supplier or ask for a different batch.
I only buy from one supplier and it has happened that shirts yellowed. The next order I bought didn't yellow at all. I have no idea why. It only happened once.
And yes, I recommend parchment (baking) paper. Doesn't matter if its the brown or white stuff.
Can I get this at my local grocery? And It is wax Free right?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Unsure we're you are but you should be able to get this from your supermarket . We have it in ours in the uk .

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Can I get this at my local grocery? And It is wax Free right?
As Doug mentioned grocery stores carry it. If you are in the US and live near a Costco wholesale you can get it in wider and longer rolls than the grocery store carries and at wholesale pricing.

It's called Kirkland Signature™ Parchment Paper. They were out online but several Costco stores where I live have it. There is no wax on it.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
1000 shirts and you are doing them in-house????? Crazy! That screams for farming out for full color screen printing. One of the most important decisions a business owner can make is when to do the work and when to farm it out. And don't tell me you priced it too low to farm out. Get quotes from a couple of screen printing houses. Then realistically calculate your hard costs for the order. That will leave you with how much you're being paid to do the order. Also take into account how long it will take. Now how much are you making per hour?
Yes, ditto on that. maybe even getting some plastisols made, not as cheap as direct screen print at those qntys, but cheaper than anything digital.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Im making a Doller per shirt and all i have to do is press it on the shirt, I out sourced the Tees and Transfers

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Whats a plastisol
A plastisol is actually a screen print but on heat transfer paper and not immediatly printed direct on the garment.

The transfers once you have them then you can use 1, 5 or 100 whatever anytime you like. Direct screen printing to be economical you need to do a decent batch in production run.

Plastisols are the same way when they make them, best made in batches too, but the customer (you) can use them on demand when you choose. You can search here and find those who make them for you. You can't really order just or 1 or 2 or some small amount, but once you order them you use them "on demand" in whatever qnty you need.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Im making a Doller per shirt and all i have to do is press it on the shirt, I out sourced the Tees and Transfers
Good! From your original post I thought you were making the transfers in house. As others have indicated, the problem is with the t-shirts themselves (assuming that the yellow is the area under the heat press platen). Something happens in manufacturing which causes this problem but no idea what. What we did when this happened is send the lot back to Broder Bros and reorder another brand. Our usual brand was Gildan and so we moved the order to Jerzees, temporarily. It only happened a couple of times in 12 years but still very disconcerting.

·
Registered
55 Posts

Pillow Accessories for Heat Printing | Stahls’

Is this the same foam insert you're talking about?

·
Registered
91 Posts
for 100% cotton or 50/50 white shirts, 375 F and 25 sec is max before yellowing in my experience. In fact, those discoloring will be gone most after first light washing.
It seems like burnt chemical on shirts - not fabric itself.

So, when I make for shirt for team or event, if not too yellow, just tell them washing it once.
if still has yellow, I remake for them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts