T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to toss this one in the wholesale blanks section but I figured it was a little too off-topic. I prefer to wear polo shirts at work so I don't look like a complete slob, but even though it's mostly a desk job there are days when I need to go forklift something or help clean the warehouse, etc. So I don't buy expensive clothes for work (no Ralph Lauren)! But I've always found that it's difficult to find smooth fabric polo shirts, nearly all of the brands out there are that weird mesh texture. Some is a fine mesh, others are wide. There are two reasons that I can't stand wearing these, one is that I feel like I'm "out of focus" like those No Fear lookalike shirts in the '90s that were intentionally blurred. The second reason is gross and people hate it when I say it out loud (because then they always wind up thinking about it) so I won't. I also only wear solid color, horizontal stripes seem to be common in smooth fabric but even if I was thin as a rail I wouldn't want to wear horizontal stripes!

I haven't done much digging online for polo shirts but in retail stores I haven't had much luck. But my main question is why the mesh is so much more common (because Lacoste was the original? I can't imagine playing tennis in a 3-figure shirt!). Also, lately, I've found that bright primary colors are less and less common, I guess the current "in style" is bland colors. Last year everything was pastel. This year Walmart has their cheap brand polos (Puritan this year, last year was George) in smooth fabric... in grey, dark grey, dull yellow, beige, dark red. I want royal blue, light blue, forest green, and teal! Guess I'll have to start doing some online shopping, but I really hate buying shirts without trying them on (not that this always helps, some Boca Classics I bought real cheap last year shrank so much that they were about 3" above the waist!). If I ever get around to getting my resale license I may just wholesale 100 assorted polo shirts and pay the use tax to keep them myself :p

· Registered
29 Posts
These are the polos I use/wear. It's kinda hard to see the pattern on the blue one, but that pic gives you an idea of how it looks from a distance. The other pic is a close up of what I have on right now. These are from a company called Outer Banks, I get them through Heritage Sportswear. $7.99 for sizes small through xl. The blue one is an example of uniform shirts I do for the company on the chest. They ordered the first batch about 8 months ago, and really like the product and durability.

Anyway, without spending a lot of money on a 100% performance poly from Nike or someone like that, I don't know if you're going to find much without the mesh pattern.

Attachments

· Premium Member
51,818 Posts
I think the "mesh" texture you're referring to is called pique knit.

I'm not sure why many polos are made with that material, but if you want to find ones that aren't, check for ones that describe the material as "jersey knit", which is more like t-shirt material without the "mesh" look/feel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.