T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to order some more shirts from SS Activewear. Originally I found they had the best prices on the Hanes Beefy-T (5180).

When I placed my order this time around I noticed that the prices for the black Ls and XLs had gone up while the XXLs price hadn't changed.

This got me thinking, do the prices on wholesale apparel fluctuate? This only being my second order, I don't have much data/experience to go on to determine whether this is a normal occurrence.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
S&S usually run some kind of a sale every week. You might have caught the Hanes onsale with your initial purchase. They send e=mails when and whats happening and I try to buy what I need according to the sale. I sure could use so womens spag. strap tanks to go on sale. I have a giant event at the end of July.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Yep, wholesale prices on apparel do fluctuate quite a bit. The manufacturers are always changing things up (like which is a "white", "light", "dark", "colors") and adjusting pricing.

Many screen printers who provide garments have to update their pricing at least yearly to reflect the changes.

Seems like a lot of the manufacturers follow Hanes. If hanes says that "natural" t-shirts are no longer considered "white" (lowest price), and they are now a "light" or "colored" garment (increased price), gildan, fruit of the loom, etc follow suit.

Sometimes I wonder if it's a bit like produce pricing. Changes at the raw materials level (cotton prices, strikes, bad weather) also effect the pricing.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
Rodney said:
Sometimes I wonder if it's a bit like produce pricing. Changes at the raw materials level (cotton prices, strikes, bad weather) also effect the pricing.
I think there's a good chance of it. Labour is a pretty minimal cost (and doesn't fluctuate), whereas raw materials will make up a larger percentage of total cost, and definitely fluctuate. Since they're doing business on an international scale, exchange rate fluctuations potentially affect things as well though. Fuel prices affect shipping, etc. There's a lot of variables really :(

Wholesale prices must be pretty cutthroat (i.e. low margins), so if they didn't fluctuate the profits of the company probably would...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts