T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased and am running magic mix inks. I noticed they don't look as rich as the durabrites but they look better after transfering.

Do any of you have any baseline settings that I should start with on my C86 printer to get them to print better?? Or should i leave the print settings 100% default other than mirror image??

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK after using them they look great. They look a bit washed out on the transfer paper but look richer once applied to a T.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I tried the Magic Mix :mad: (Pigment-Archival ink) on my Epson 1280, and the magenta kept banding, every single time. The other colors were fine. I ran head cleaning and nozzle checks over and over again. At first I thought maybe it was the Bulk System (CFS), so I ordered single refillable cartridges from another company, and filled them with Magic Mix this time since I had 2 other bottles of Magenta I filled it with one of the other bottles. It didn't go away. I then installed an OEM cartridge and ran it, guess what? It cleared up after a couple of head cleanings and so I installed the Magic Mix again, BANDING is back!!! So I then syphend the ink through the bottom thinking there maybe some air. Reinstalled the cart, and banding is back, I have contacted Magic Mix and they ignored me for awhile (3 weeks), and so I had to email under a different email address this time it took 1 day for them to get back to me. They stated I needed to up the paper settings, I did and you got it.....Banding. I emailed them again guess what that was 4 weeks ago still no reply and I am now here with 7 full bottles of unused ink, I lost alot of transfer paper during the process. I have since purchased a Bulk system through MIS (inksupply.com) and everything is working GREAT! I just thought I would give the real truth about Magic Mix. If any one wants the left over ink I will get rid of it, It is 2 black 4oz., 2 yellow 4oz., 1 Cyan 4oz., and you guess it 2 Magenta:eek: 4oz.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I have found out that I can get a bulk ink system for my Epson R300 that will use Magic Mix inks, which surprised me because the R300 does not use the Durabrite inks. It uses dye based inks.

Here is a quote from Epson

"Thank you for contacting the Epson Connection.

Unfortunately this printer is not capable of using the DuraBrite inks. The
R300 uses Photo Dye ink which is much different than the DuraBrite inks -
which are great but do not perform on the same level as Photo Dye. You
would have to get a separate printer that uses DuraBrite inks."

So, I thought I couldn't use it, but that only meant that Epson didn't offer Durabrite cartridges for it. The people at TLM Supply House have a bulk system for the R320 which uses the same carts as the R300, so I'm in luck.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Decal_Designs said:
I have found out that I can get a bulk ink system for my Epson R300 that will use Magic Mix inks, which surprised me because the R300 does not use the Durabrite inks. It uses dye based inks.

Here is a quote from Epson

"Thank you for contacting the Epson Connection.

Unfortunately this printer is not capable of using the DuraBrite inks. The
R300 uses Photo Dye ink which is much different than the DuraBrite inks -
which are great but do not perform on the same level as Photo Dye. You
would have to get a separate printer that uses DuraBrite inks."

So, I thought I couldn't use it, but that only meant that Epson didn't offer Durabrite cartridges for it. The people at TLM Supply House have a bulk system for the R320 which uses the same carts as the R300, so I'm in luck.
I am being so honest, please do not put their junk ink in your printer, TLM WILL NOT stand behind their product. But for ink I would check with inksupply.com you can even call them and speek to a real person, not like TLM you leave a message and they call in the next few days. By that time you forgot why you ever called for.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
That is very contrary to every other interaction with TLM I've heard. She is normally very good at replying quickly to inquiries, helps with all sorts of problems and questions, ships fast, etc. Basically, this is the only bad review I've heard comapred to dozens that claim her customer service is top notch.

·
Registered
4 Posts
KRlSTY said:
I am being so honest, please do not put their junk ink in your printer, TLM WILL NOT stand behind their product. But for ink I would check with inksupply.com you can even call them and speek to a real person, not like TLM you leave a message and they call in the next few days. By that time you forgot why you ever called for.

Hi all-

I looked up the profile for Kristy to see if I could find email records that would help me understand why she's so unhappy, but I can't find anything under Kristy and without knowing the email address that sent the emails to me, I can't find them to see how much truth is in what she says.

I do remember someone new who complained about banding, but that's almost always a matter of getting the cartridges primed and the learning curve that newer people have to undergo.

Sometimes, since using a third party ink isn't as easy as OEM, a person assumes that it's a problem with the product rather than accepting that they have to do a little more learning and fiddling with them.

I find it almost funny that she's having great results with the MIS because if she's using their pigmented magenta, it should be identical to the magenta we have. Weird.

As long as Kristy is happy and doing well with her shirts, that's all I wish for her. I just wish I knew what she was talking about with the communications. I sit here at the computer most day and nights and rarely go to bed without emails being caught up each day.

If her email hit my spam box or something, it's entirely possible that I missed it, or if she didn't have a subject like that sounded like work (support help please, etc)... it's possible that I deleted it thinking it was spam...but for weeks at a time? That seems very odd to me.

Anyway, she's happy using the vendor she is using now, and that's totally fine. I wish you luck Kristy and if you ever need help or questions answered, feel free to drop me a line. I don't hold a grudge very long.

Cindy : )

PS!!! OH wait a minute. Something really is starting to not add up now. She said she had to call and leave a message and by the time we get back with you, you've forgotten why you called. Part of what she said is correct. We don't do telephone sales/support since it's just myself and my daughter who operate this whole thing in our home.

We don't DO telephone sales/support, so we don't return calls at all because we don't *get* calls. I'm definitely confused now... MIS loyalist maybe? Not accusing of anything, but anyone who knows our phone policy knows that we don't call back in a few days because we don't call at all. That might sound bad, but it's the only way I can get emails done, cartridges and units filled, sample packs printed, packages packaged, and vendors and bills dealt with and still not hire other people to help us (which would raise the prices). Something doesn't add up with this one. Weird indeed. :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Welcome to the forums Cindy! What a great new member to have.
I predict that you are about to get a lot of questions here, so hold onto your, ah, t-shirt. I wouldn't worry about Kristy other than it probably bugs you when someone is unhappy. You seem to want to make everyone happy if at all possible.

Perhaps Kristy will post here again and get some help should she still need it.

As for myself, I still haven't set up my bulk ink yet. It's in the box. I have to throw some stuff out the window to make room for my printer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the welcome. You're right. It gets under my skin when someone is unhappy because when I started up, I was miserable and couldn't get straight answers from anyone...so I promised myself I'd do what I could to help others.

It seems like every so often though, someone comes along who either mis-guessed the work involved in starting a business, or just isn't capable of being made happy, so I do have to just accept sometimes that I lose a customer here and there.

For her to call our inks junk is pretty slanderous though and she might want to be a little more careful about the terminology she uses. Since some of the inks she uses now are the same as mine, I hope she rethinks unloading her investment just because she doesn't like me...that'd be pretty illogical to throw away good ink because of an attitude.

For anyone who doesn't know the history of our inks... it's called the Magic Mix inks because they were combined from different brands of inks so that the optimal results for transfers were achieved... meaning least fading/bleeding possible.

Not all colors are the same as she's using. If she complained about our black compared to the black she uses through MIS, that would have made sense. The black is totally different and when I tested those blacks, I had bleeding everywhere, thus the need to combine different lines of inks to get the best results.

I don't wish her ill-will at all though. I hope she does a great business. I just hope she rethinks bad-mouthing something in the same paragraph that she praises something else without realizing they're the same item. It's a poor reflection on her. :(

Something that used to be said often on our other forum still holds true today though... "If it's something that just anyone could do, why would they need us to do it for them?" I really like that quote. Yes, sometimes things are annoying and sometimes there is banding or flaking, etc.

It's up to us to learn our profession and figure out WHY these things happen so that we can be the best in our trade. That way, when the crafters of the world (I love crafters, don't get me wrong) want to sell shirts for a living and run into problem after problem... they have to decide... "Am I going to put forth the effort to LEARN what I'm doing or should I just have a professional do it for me?"

Either way, a choice needs to be made. This industry isn't for everyone. It takes hard work and continued effort like any other business. Those who blame a vendor for their failures might be better off letting the professionals do the job.

I couldn't tolerate sublimation. I just didn't have the patience for it. Now clearly, there are hundreds if not thousands who do it daily... so I can't blame the vendor or the inks for my lack of stamina to battle on until I won and was able to make great sublimation products.

My colors were always wrong, I had the ghosting, the profile problems, etc. It was always issues of wrong temp, time, pressure, ... who knows what all it was... but it wasn't the vendor or the inks... it was ME.

Becoming educated about your trade is vital. If anyone actually expects to buy stuff and not have a learning curve, I'd hate to be a fly on their wall when they face reality. Ink is messy and good ink is expensive. You have to try, try again until you find ways of making a consistently superior product.

I know I'm preaching to the choir for the most part here, but I hope that newbies will see this and understand that this is a business venture and it should be taken seriously enough to know that it's not a cake walk. It's incredibly fun and fulfilling in my opinion for those who do what it takes to learn and become successful though.

I wish I knew who some of these screen names were. I see you guys posting about our products and that you're happy with our service, etc... Since I'm not sure who you all are, I just want to throw out a blanket "Thank You!" for the very kind words. I'll do my best to make sure I don't let you down by referring me to others.

[edited to show signature]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Figured that I would post my two cents worth here regarding TLM. I'm just getting started and they have really gone above and beyond to help me out with questions regarding not only inks, but printers, cartridges, set ups and more. Usually they get back to me within just a couple of hours. I would definitely recommend them based on what I've experienced.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Rodney. You have a nice little forum here. I like the way it's set up. Can you email me privately so I can find out what BB system you're using? I had my forum cracked and had to shut it down till I found a good alternative.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Good morning,

I thought I would throw my .02 worth in on this thread.

I have been using the Magic Mix inks and MagicJet (Transjet ll) paper since 2001 and have had no problems with it at all. I have done over 10,400 transfers with it. When I first started using it, we had to get the TJll paper from one place, the black ink from another and the color inks from another. Cindy made my life much simpler since I can get it all at one place and have been a very satisfied customer for 4 years.

The printers I have used for over 4 years are the Epson 980 and 1160, non-chipped printers. I was blessed by buying them just before they dis-continued making them. I have had the same printers with the same bulk units for the whole time. I used to read about the sponges in the carts going bad but mine have done fine ever since I bought them.

I don't think the problems are with the inks or the bulk units. Epson started trying to stop folks from using 3rd. party inks with the "C" series printers and making the nozzles smaller which would cause the pigmented inks to clog. They then came out with their own pigmented inks, DuraBrite, but due to some color shifting when pressed, folks had to come up with the settings to help over come that. Epson, as other printer manufactures, don't make their money on the printers but on the inks.

When they first came out with the "C" series, I bought a C80 for $89.00. When the inks ran out, I bought a replacement set and they cost $79.00. This lets you know where they make their money. Several folks seem to be having success with the R1800 and some are trying the 2400.

Kristy, if you haven't sold the inks yet, I will buy them from you. Send me a private email and we will work out the arrangments. As a side note, it you want to keep the inks good indefinitely, keep them in a fridge. I am using some I have had for close to 2 years and they still work great. As with any pigmented inks, the possibility of the pigments settleing in the bottom of the bottles is normal. I just swirl, DO NOT SHAKE, them before pouring into my bulk units. Hope this may help someone with their problems and answer a few questions. Have a BLESSED week.

God Bless You
Don

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KRlSTY said:
At first I thought maybe it was the Bulk System (CFS), so I ordered single refillable cartridges from another company, and filled them with Magic Mix this time since I had 2 other bottles of Magenta I filled it with one of the other bottles.
Interesting I had used Magic mix in a C86 without problems but I stepped up to a 1280 and bought a full compliment of Magic mix inks. I never even ran the factory dye inks. Went straight to the Magic mix.

I got one color that is banding. Take a guess. Coincidence?? I hope so.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I also use magic mix ink just started this week. No banding. Banding is not from the ink it's from the cartridge. Air gets into the cartrige,I've also used Mis ink and got banding from there cartridge i fixed it by removing the air inside.
I don't know why people keep thinking that if they use Magic Mix ink and get banding its the ing but not the cartridge. You also get banding with ink flow system.What do the suppliers say it's air in the tubes.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts