T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Just wanting to know if anyone here uses one or more halogen lamps to flash dry their plastisol t-shirt prints?

I would get a flash dryer, but in Australia they can be hard to come across / ridiculously expensive. I'm thinking of using a 500w halogen lamp to flash dry my prints between screens and full cure with a heat press.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I dont think it will work and if it does reach temperature it take a long long time.
Might as well use your kitchen oven.

·
Registered
46 Posts
500 watt halogen lamp is a method from youtees

youtees.net

Should take 3 minutes (or a few seconds)

He is a member here. Look him up.
He has tutorials on youtube as well.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
500 watt halogen lamp is a method from youtees

youtees.net

Should take 3 minutes (or a few seconds)

He is a member here. Look him up.
He has tutorials on youtube as well.
I have seen his videos and I have not seen him flash cure with a halogen light. He use his 500 watt halogen for exposing. I thought he use that old stove that you see in the videos that he always refer to for flashing and curing his shirts. Then again he talks so much I can never actually get through the entire video so maybe he does????

Anyhoo, my mind tells me it won't work but the only way to no for sure is to test it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Rudi, I think the 500w halogen might be a flawed idea : (

How long would it take to 'flash' an A3 size image with a heat gun?

It's very much a 'how long is a piece of string?' kinda question, but I mean, like generally etc.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Cheers Rudi, I think the 500w halogen might be a flawed idea : (

How long would it take to 'flash' an A3 size image with a heat gun?

It's very much a 'how long is a piece of string?' kinda question, but I mean, like generally etc.
I am not sure what A3 size is, but a full chest logo would not take to long. I would say 20-30 seconds to full cover a large logo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A3 must be an Aussie thing. It's basically the size of two A4 pieces of paper joined together.

I think I remember seeing that too, MotoSkin. It was on the forum here too from memory. The only problem is my electrical power point is rated to only about 2400w, so I would probably burn my house down trying to run 3000w lol.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In any instance i'm sure two heat guns would probably be quicker to flash a larger t-shirt print than a single halogen lamp, probably use less power too. Just had a picture in my mind of me whipping two heat guns out of a belt gun holster. Arnie style.

Does anyone object to the idea of using a heat press to final cure the plastisol?
I have heard mixed reviews on teh forum here. Being a newbie, i must admit, im rather confused.

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I understand that not everyone is rolling in cash these days, and I know some of you use a heat gun to flash and cure shirts, but honestly, from a production point, not to mention the distinct possibility of undercuring a shirt and having the ink wash off in the customer's washer, you really need to step up to at least a cheap 16x16 flash dryer. They're not that expensive, especially used, and put you in the ballpark of being able to put out a reasonably professional product. If it is simply out of reach, I'd skip plastisol ink altogether and use something like Union's Aerotex ink that will air dry with a catalyst, or some of the other air dry products that have come on the market. There's a limit on how cheap you can be in this business and still produce something that is remotely professional. If you had to use a heat gun to get a few shirts out in a pinch, I can see it. As a standard operating procedure, it's like building fires with 2 sticks . . . it can be done, but if you need a fire once or twice a day, you break down and buy a box of matches.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with you 100%. The problem is that a flash dryer in Australia is as rare as **** from a rocking horse.
I've been searching for months, and have not been able to find one. Anywhere!

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
You can buy an infrared panel from Intek as well as controls and build your own. I understand that shipping will be an issue, but it might be an alternative. Likewise, you could use an oven element in a metal shroud with a control on it. Heat wouldn't be as even necessarily as with the infrared type, but would be better than a heat gun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts