T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone prewash their shirts before they press them? If so, what are the advantages? I just got my first shipment of blanks, about 150 Beefy Ts, and am debating whether or not to throw the boxes in the car and head to the big machines at the laundry mat. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Wow does that sound like a lot of work. I do press (with Iron) and fold my shirts before delivering them to clients. My shirts are preshrunk when I buy them. By the way with the Iron All paper you can press right over the design and they will not stick or burn. Pressing them with an iron takes out the marks I get from my small press around the design.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I don't think there is a need to do that really. In fact, it would remove the center crease that comes on many blanks.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I think everyone is going to expect some shrinkage when buying a t-shirt and pre-washing would cost more money that it's worth. And as Bill said it'll remove your center line which will be a pain whem going to print.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I have tossed a load of tee's in the washer before pressing . . only at the request of the buyer . . of course I did charge them for it, I included it in the setup fee when doing customer work . .. .
the only other time I have washed a load of tee's . . if they should come in with dirt dust on them from the warehouse . . it does happen . . the workers that pull the orders . . I'm sure at times . . they might drop some tee's on the warehouse floors, . . thus the dirt dust on the tee's . .

for single orders,.....naaa, I don't prewash the tee's . .
if i have nothing else to do . . I will prepress the tee's and folder them and put them in rubbermaid tubs . . when an order comes in . . just have to press for moisture and then the transfer . . .

Diane

·
Registered
16 Posts
i made my first presses without washing, because the t-shirts are pre-shrunk... but after washing them and drying with hot air, they DID shrink more.

so now, i prefer washing-drying them first to make shure they wont shrink at the custummer´s. (even if you say they shouldn´t use warm water/air, you never know)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
You'll lose that "new smell". I would be very suspicious of an allegedly brand new shirt that arrived smelling of ocean breezes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts