T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
4,001 Posts
Just wondering who here sells more expensive shirts? There is a niche in my area that I'm hoping to fill, but trying to market $25+ tees has me a little nervous, lol.
Does that niche buy $25+ shirts? If so, it shouldn't make you nervous at all.;)

There are many people here that sell their shirts for more than $25. If you're going to be successful at selling at that price point, you need to know going in that starting at about that price, the consumer wants something more than just the "average" shirt.

If you want them to pay more than average prices, you've got to give them a reason to do so.

· Registered
6,970 Posts
Is part of you plan to make as much money as you can?.....If so can that be acomplished by selling at that price point better than a lower price point and selling higher quantities...Just because you sell at a higher price point does not mean you make more at the bottom line....I generally subscribe to the theory that if you "Sell to the masses and eat with the classes"...

· Premium Member
4,001 Posts
That's where planning and knowing your target market comes into play. There are certain segments of certain markets that just won't buy a shirt if it's under a certain price point, regardless of how the shirt is.

You could sell it for less, but then the people that are targeting just won't buy it. Then the people that do buy in that price point, may not like it. You need to understand where you fit in the grand scheme of things, and how and why your target market buys what they pay, and why they pay what they pay.

It can be priced to sell to the masses and if bought by the masses at that price point you'd do very well. But that doesn't mean it's made FOR the masses or that the masses will care that it's in their price point.

That's exactly why the OP needs to find out if the niche doesn't blink an eye at $25+. If not then market your product to them, just be aware that there are certain reasons that people in that market buy what they buy. Find out those reasons, and give them that in your product.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That niche does buy $25+ shirts. I guess I'm just nervous about the increase in initial startup. I will be using Comfort Colors shirts, so paying $6+ a shirt versus $2 gives me a couple of butterflies. My printer charges $.50 per color per location. So for a two color design with my label screenprinted in the neck I'm looking at a cost of about $8-$9 a shirt. My suggested retail price on these is $30, but will be selling to smaller boutiques here. I'm wrestling with my wholesale price as I've seen here most expect to pay half of retail. This leaves me at making about $6 a shirt.

Guess I just keep thinking I gotta sell a lot of shirts, lol.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's exactly why the OP needs to find out if the niche doesn't blink an eye at $25+. If not then market your product to them, just be aware that there are certain reasons that people in that market buy what they buy. Find out those reasons, and give them that in your product.
I live in a southern college town, where the college and even high school aged kids don't blink at a $25-$30 tee that is considered a "status" brand. It sounds superficial, and it is really, lol.

· Premium Member
4,001 Posts
That niche does buy $25+ shirts. I guess I'm just nervous about the increase in initial startup. I will be using Comfort Colors shirts, so paying $6+ a shirt versus $2 gives me a couple of butterflies. My printer charges $.50 per color per location. So for a two color design with my label screenprinted in the neck I'm looking at a cost of about $8-$9 a shirt. My suggested retail price on these is $30, but will be selling to smaller boutiques here. I'm wrestling with my wholesale price as I've seen here most expect to pay half of retail. This leaves me at making about $6 a shirt.

Guess I just keep thinking I gotta sell a lot of shirts, lol.
If I were you, I'd look into using plastisol transfers and a heat press for the neck labels. You'd save TONS over a few runs of shirts.

It would be the difference between dollars and pennies, literally.

· Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I just did a quick info search for plastisol transfers and I have a couple of questions..

Are these something that I can like, iron on myself with a regular iron or do they require a special heat press that I'll have to let my screen printer do?

Do they have any bleed through at all? Dark transfer on light shirt and vice versa? Thanks.

· Premium Member
4,001 Posts
You can buy a small heat press and do them yourself.

As far as bleed through, they will be exactly like what your screen printer puts in the neck. If you aren't concerned about what your printer puts in then you shouldn't have any concerns about the transfers. They're exactly the same.

If you're sure that you're going to be using comfort colors but still concerned about your bottom line, then this allows for you to have the same look and feel at a MUCH LOWER price point.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.