T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

I have a DTG Kiosk with white ink. I can t figure out what the white threshold setting is supposed to do and the manual does not cover it. I read in other posts that a good setting for it would be 5-7% and thats the one i use.

Also another problem i have with printing on black Ts. When they come out of the printer the colors are very bright, but after 2 1/2 min at 170 C in the press everything seems to fade down :(. almost blending with the white ink, which is kinda disappointing. I apply light pressure on the press.

Could someone clarify things a bit?

thanx in advance :)

Nick

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Hey everyone

I have a DTG Kiosk with white ink. I can t figure out what the white threshold setting is supposed to do and the manual does not cover it. I read in other posts that a good setting for it would be 5-7% and thats the one i use.

Also another problem i have with printing on black Ts. When they come out of the printer the colors are very bright, but after 2 1/2 min at 170 C in the press everything seems to fade down :(. almost blending with the white ink, which is kinda disappointing. I apply light pressure on the press.

Could someone clarify things a bit?

thanx in advance :)

Nick
Hi Nick, how many passes of white underbase are you doing and at what dpi?
Personally I always use 720dpi 2-3 passes because the underbase comes out smooth. I have the highlight threshold set to 5-7%.

From what I understand, when the printer is doing the color layer, it will also highlight the white areas of the image with white.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Tahoe,

You find the multiple passes better than the one pass 1440 for the overall print quality?

Nick,

You should be able to go to the user forum for the DTG and get a very quick answer as to a difinition of the threshold setting and what it does. Fred at the RIP company is great to respond. I would even go as far as saying that he probably has posted it somewhere on that forum. I will see if I can find it in my documentation somewhere and I will post it here if you haven't found it as of yet. It has been my experience that tahoe has the right range of 5-7%

Tom

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nick,

I found some info on the threshold for you with a basic explanation from some tech conversations I have had with the RIP company. Here is a couple little excerpts for your info:

The higher threshold you choose, the more pixels will receive a highlight white. For example, if you choose 1% threshold, only the pixels within 1% of pure white will receive a highlight. If you choose 10%, all pixels within 10% or pure white will receive.

The pixels that are closer to pure white will receive more highlight white that the pixels at the higher end of the threshold. For example, if you choose 10%, the 10% pixels will recieve less than the 9% will receive less than the 8%...

Just to clarify, though, "pure white" will never receive any highlight from the threshold mechanism. So at 10%, pixels with values of 1% through 10% will receive white ink. 1% getting the most, 10% getting the least.

Please note that there are things that must be done to typical artwork so all of these settings can effect your output on the shirt in different ways depending on the art file.

I do know there have been some serious enhancements to the rip lately in regards to even more automatic white base and highlight printing by the RIP company. It would be in your best interest to download the newest version and talk to you rep you purchased the unit from to get a full update along with an explanation of feature changes. I know the RIP company supplies the manufacture with this info. If you are not plugged into the support forum they provide I would really suggest you do so. A user forum should not be the only line of regular support but, it is a nice addition to standard tech support.

hope this might help you a little.

Tom

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Tahoe,

You find the multiple passes better than the one pass 1440 for the overall print quality?

Tom
That's correct. Although the 1440 gives a good underbase I found that after the color layer is put down it looks a little grainy. Almost as if the white was so thick that it's almost poking through the color in a way.

I just feel the image comes out sharper at 720 but you have to do multiple passes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for the info. I found the same thing on the flexi when we had those units in our shop. I have heard the same story from kiosk, flexi & T-Jet users as well. Most of the time I find that at the shows they tout and show the 1440 1 pass as the way to go but I think the 720 x 2 is the way to go as well. We had very marginal wash results with 1 pass and better with 2. That darn pretreat is still the thing that drove us to drink though. Every time we thought we had it down we would still get that failure rate that just caused us to make the decision that the white ink thing is just not ready for prime time and that it was just not worth the bad word of mouth or replacement from peopel that got shirts that fell into the below average quality area.

thanks again and I appreciate the info sharing,

Tom

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
guys thanx a lot for the quick responses.

I use 1 pass of white at 1440 and 1 color pass at 720. But no matter the method after the press the colors come out a little dull. I ll give the 2 whites at 720 another try. Of course the great problem is the preatreatment. sometimes i get it right sometimes not.

Thanx again everyone

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tom

For blacks I gently rest the press on the t-shirt at 170C with teflon paper for 2 1/2 min, as it says in the manual. the colors look great out of the printer but lose a lot of vibrancy after the heat press, sometimes almost mixing a little with the white ink.

I use the original inkset. DTG TEX not TEX2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts