T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I still have problems with white tees! I'm not happy that the washability after only 5 washes turns out like this?

How can I fix this? Black/dark tees due to the pre-treatment look great after many washes but white tees look terrible!

I double strike all white tee jobs in GC, press at 180 degrees for 60 seconds. I use a silicone mat so the image area on the press is raised as I print mostly kids stuff and the seams get in the way if I don't.

Epson promoted that this printer is just as good as screen printing when it came to washability, but I'm just not getting those results.

Here is a image after only 5 washes! After only one wash it was ok, but you can still see dots of ink missing.

I'm I using the wrong heat/printing settings?

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your comment. No I'm not using any pre-treatment on whites as Epson state it shouldn't be needed. I have also read it makes the washability even worse.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Pressing at 180 degrees might be your problem. I pre-heat for 60 seconds and then press for 60 seconds, all at 325 degrees. I double strike all white t's with NO pre-treat and I don't have any wash issues at all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in Oz so talking in celsius not fahrenheit. 325 fahrenheit is 162 in celsius.

The Epson rep told me to press at 180 and for 60 seconds with no pre-treatment for white tees

I'm just trying to find a formula that works as what has been recommended by Epson reps isn't getting professional results, so I'm guessing it is something that I'm doing but I'm following everything correctly so I'm slightly confused at the moment and hoping the wonderful people in this forum can help me :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes I have. They don't wash out as bad as this brand does but they are still far too faded for my liking! I don't use this brand now. I would expect fading after the 30th or 40th wash but after only a handful of washes on different brands of tees it just doesn't look professional!

I upgraded to the Epson to have professional quality standards in my clothing line and I feel it still isn't there yet. I'm not a print shop, I use my printer to print my clothing collections as I have so many designs screen printing them all in bulk just isn't achievable at this stage.

Surely it has to be in the settings :( I have tried playing around with ink density, pressing the garments longer to allow moisture to escape... does it make a difference in washability to print CMYK separately?

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
What brand of t-shirt are you using? Happy to do a test print of the same design on our Brother's to compare with the Epson. We always advise white t-shirts without pretreatment will fade in the first wash due to fibrillation (5-10% loss in vibrancy). Your fading does look a bit excessive though for the Epson inkset.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Curious to what you guys are using for settings when double strike on white shirts..

Are you using Level 1, 2, 3?

Colour Density setting? "+" or "-"

I've been using Level 2 at 10% and have been getting some bleeding from the black inks to other colours any ideas how to correct this?

·
Registered
843 Posts
If you're using GC for white garment prints then 'Quality' level settings depend on the design you're printing. Bold/intricate?

When 'double striking' you need to back the colours 'off', not increase saturation and density to allow for another pass of CMYK.

You will also need to 'pause between passes' to let the ink semi-dry after the first pass, otherwise bleeding will occur.

It's the balance between the time to pretreat a white shirt, vs the time to hit it twice with a pause in between. ;)

PS. And F2000 owners currently don't have access to a pretreat that will the stick the F2000 CMYK inks to a white garment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Pressing at 180 degrees might be your problem. I pre-heat for 60 seconds and then press for 60 seconds, all at 325 degrees. I double strike all white t's with NO pre-treat and I don't have any wash issues at all.
Hi! May I ask what kind of brand you using for white shirts?

I have Epson F2100 and have been playing with setting one/double strokes, with/without pretritment, density,contrast etc.... colors are bright BUT after just first washing you can see some white dots and white fuzziness coming on top of designs..... Not sure what else I can do or try?!

I use only white shirts for fight now and most of my design are for kids (toddler,youth sizes) but I need to have all sizes from baby to regular Adults.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Hi! May I ask what kind of brand you using for white shirts?

I have Epson F2100 and have been playing with setting one/double strokes, with/without pretritment, density,contrast etc.... colors are bright BUT after just first washing you can see some white dots and white fuzziness coming on top of designs..... Not sure what else I can do or try?!

I use only white shirts for fight now and most of my design are for kids (toddler,youth sizes) but I need to have all sizes from baby to regular Adults.

We recommend Cotton Heritage style 1082 t-shirts. It's what we use for all sample prints that we send out and print at trade shows. Get from:
www.cottonheritage.com

_

1 - 18 of 18 Posts