T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just read something on a site and a thread on here that confused me.

If pretreating a white shirt with either IA Light or Firebird, do you have to print a white underbase for the color to stick?

Luckily we hardly ever print white shirts, but have a few times and have both treated and not treated, but never used a white underbase on either.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts

If pretreating a white shirt with either IA Light or Firebird, do you have to print a white underbase for the color to stick?

Luckily we hardly ever print white shirts, but have a few times and have both treated and not treated, but never used a white underbase on either.

No white ink underbase needed for white shirts.

_

·
Registered
392 Posts

Greg, there are a few different views. My personal experience (and I have heard quoted from Epson) is that the Epson F2000 CMYK inks are not designed to bond to the Epson Pretreatment without a white underbase. The adhesion is a little better with FBX and is the best with the IA Light...but we still need better to feel good about selling the shirt to a customer.

My experience was that the wash test with Epson pretreatment is terrible. Wash test with FBX and IA is not noticeable between the wash cycles...but there is a steady degradation of the ink. I do a lot of multi decoration and what I noticed is that my transfer tape would pull the CMYK ink off any pretreated areas that did not have a white underbase.

So for those of us that use a 3rd party rip with the Epson F2000, we do not get all the benefits of the RIP in reducing white ink underbase like under that Black Ink areas, we have to put a layer of white underbase even under black in on a grey, blue, or pink shirt.

For White shirts we do not pretreat...we do a double pass of the color inks. I do the same for light color shirts where the design does not have white ink that needs to show as part of the design.

hope that helps

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Roy. Good info.

Harry, does that apply to pretreated white shirts?

I have a single job on a 50/50 white shirt. I have had great results with dark 50/50s, but on the white should I pretreat and use white under base. Will the color inks hold on a 50/50 without pretreat and white?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks Roy. Good info.

Harry, does that apply to pretreated white shirts?

I have a single job on a 50/50 white shirt. I have had great results with dark 50/50s, but on the white should I pretreat and use white under base. Will the color inks hold on a 50/50 without pretreat and white?
Greg, without pretreat, remember you will only bond to 50% of the fibers without pretreatment...this produces a great vintage look if that is what you are looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts