T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks... Got a problem printing white on a black shirt. The end result looks kinda fuzzy around the edges of the design and not sharp like it's supposed to be. Here's how I'm working... I am using a 2+1 emulsion coating on a 120 mesh (40 t/cm). Exposing to a good solid 7 step on the exposure calculator. I use Wilflex Quantum One inks reduced with 3% Viscosity Buster. The white I am using is the Q1 Cotton White which is suitable for an underbase and highlight. I use retensionable frames at 30 newtons and off contact a little under an eighth of an inch
I use a triple durometer squeegee 70/90/70. I first lay down an underbase, flash, then lay down the top coat for opacity. The opacity is good, nice and bright, but I am seeing a fuzzy edge on straight and curved lines. I have checked in the mesh and noticed that there is ink still in the screen where it is fuzzy. Do you think this could still be a viscosity issue? Can someone explain in detail what the viscosity should look like? For instance if you say it's creamy could you expand on that a bit? ie does it run from your scoop, or should it still stay firm and not runny. Any help would be most appreciated as I'm struggling with laying down good solid areas of ink. I actually do ok on fine halftones but I'm struggling with solid areas. Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
is your screen going a little off registration when you come back for the second hit? whenever i have a problem like that is usually comes down to something obscure, like my pallet not being tightly clamped in place or something. being the tiniest bit off will make the edges look fuzzy

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Matthew
Thanks for the reply. I am sure it's not a registration issue, in fact after I made this post I tried reducing my ink with 5% viscosity buster and that made a huge difference to the quality of the print. It is now printing nice and clean with sharp edges and still maintaining good opacity. In fact I am tempted to push the addition of VB a little further. Polyone (Wilflex) recommend no more than 5% but I think a little more could be just perfect. If anyone has any experience using Viscosity Buster over 5% I would love to hear from you guys. Thanks for your time Matthew.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts