T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I'm Ferry and I'm working on plastisol ink screen printing right now.
During one month, I have a big problem when I have worked with plastisol, especially white paste. The application for screen printing ink.
When I finished grinding white paste on three-roll, the color was changed from white paste into grayish. I tried to change the plasticizer and the filler (for maintain viscosity). But, I have got same result, it was grayish again.
What happened during the process?
Meanwhile, according to the explanation in the discussion before, should put the plastisol in three roll mills will get a better performance.
Please, give me an advance for this problem.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
I tried to change the plasticizer and the filler (for maintain viscosity). But, I have got same result, it was grayish again.
This is definitely NOT the right forum for this but let's give it a try...
What pigment are you using? Hopefully Titanium based white.
Pigments can become translucent when ground too much. This is especially true for Zinc based white.
Finally I don't think you need a three roll mill for this. A high speed disperser shoult do the job.
You can use a grindometer to check if the results are what you want, but again I don't think this is important for plastisol inks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I used Titanium-based white.

"Pigments can become translucent when ground too much. This is especially true for Zinc based white". I agree with this statement because I think it was side-effects when I put it too much. After that, I tried a variety of loading of pigment, and the result is the same.

Before that, I have been used a high-speed disperser but need a long time to achieve a good fineness and could be overheating.
In another community, I read some advice to give a better performance for plastisol, grinding at the three-roll mill.
However, white pigment-based Titanium is too risky while grinding on the three-roll mill.

Thanks for the advice, I would try to remake my treatment for this case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your advance. I will try to grind pigment and plasticizer first and mix with a clear base.

BTW, If I using a high-speed disperser, what should I do with overheat during the process?
Any suggestions for me?

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
BTW, If I using a high-speed disperser, what should I do with overheat during the process?
Any suggestions for me?
Overheating shouldn't be an issue if there is no PVC in the pigment mixture.
You can then mix it in the clear base at low speed, or even better use a planetary mixer.
As for the clear base it self... I don't think PVC needs grinding, so it can be mixed at low speed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts