T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All!

I am having a couple of issues when printing with waterbased opaque white on dark garments.

First of all the ink I was using was drying in my screen and not washing out. The print on my T-shirt was perfect and the colour of the T-shirt did not show through. But my screens we're getting destroyed.
The ink I was using was from UK supplier 'wicked printing stuff' (Wicked Printing Stuff Website)

I then changed my ink supplier and the new opaque white I have is washing out of my screens fine but once it starts to dry on my t-shirt the colour fades and looks very dull. I have tried pulling the ink through up to five times on the one image in the hope that it will be more opaque. This ink was purchased from 'apollo' (Apollo Colours - Screen Printing Ink Manufacturer, Liverpool, London).

Does anyone have any advice on helping me get my print as white as possible.

Also, I am open to try a different brand of white and wondering If anyone can recommend another UK supplier.

Thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
The other thing to bear in mind with waterbased ink is not to judge it until it's cured. Sometimes it darkens up a bit when it's cured (not as dramatically as discharge, but a bit).

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Like plastisol, putting down two layers with a flash in between should do the trick. Are you drying the layers between strokes?

I think splathead hit the nail on the head. You should be able to get a nice opaque print with this method if you're using a 160 or less mesh.

Also, to avoid the ink drying in the screen, use a flood stroke. It is crucial with waterbased inks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts