T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a common problem, but I can't find a thread on it to read. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm printing on a red substrate (100% cotton...Gildan shirt). The ink I am using is a Maxopake white. When I cure, the ink turns pink. I'm in a time crunch and don't know what to do. I have tried a few things:
(1) Print...flash...print...flash dry completely for 35 seconds.
(2) Print...flash...print...heat press for final cure for 45 seconds at 360.

Obviously, I don't have a conveyor dryer, so I'm winging it. My process works for every color shirt except red. I'm also concerned that if I do get the ink to stay white after curing that it will bleed during wash. Thoughts? I'm thoroughly frustrated.

·
Registered
828 Posts
that is usually more likely to happen with 50/50 material shirts or 100% polyester shirts.
I'm not sure why it would happen with 100% cotton shirts..
Are you laying the ink on the shirt or are you driving it into the shirt? When you push down really hard and stroke you drive the ink down and the fibers of the shirt can come up and their colors can show through the ink a bit.

I personally haven't experienced color coming through after a 2nd layer of ink, but it could be the ink you are using?? Not really sure.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Wow, I've never seen that happen on 100% cotton either especially with MaxoPake Ink. My only guess would be the mill used the wrong kind of dyes or a bad batch of dye? I'm kinda stumped on that one.

I would call Union Ink and ask them if they've ever seen this on a 100% cotton t.

201-945-5766

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
This is kind of a shade tree solution, but I worked for a guy who would always put a dollup (that's technical for a dab) of nylobond in the ink. Weather or not that's what kept the red from migrating is open for debate, but you might give it a try. :rolleyes:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts