T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a job that has an "off white", almost white, but not white enough to use the shirt color.

Any idea on what pretreatment to use? I use Firebird FBX for my darks and Image Armor light for my whites.

I'm thinking I need to use the firebird due to the white ink?

Also, is there anything I need to look out for like Staining or Washability?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I would give a try for the IA light - you can use it also for white underbase. With FBX there could be some noticable staining I think (correct me if I am wrong).

Nevertheless, why you want to print white if white in your design isn't as white as your shirt? I would try to put some color on it just to make it "off white" :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would give a try for the IA light - you can use it also for white underbase. With FBX there could be some noticable staining I think (correct me if I am wrong).

Nevertheless, why you want to print white if white in your design isn't as white as your shirt? I would try to put some color on it just to make it "off white" :)
Thanks for the reply. Funny thing is, after I sent this I was thinking the same thing.. The "off white" probably has some black or yellow in it so no need for white ink. I'm obviously over thinking this thing :rolleyes:

I'll let you know what happens later after I print a test.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Funny thing is, after I sent this I was thinking the same thing.. The "off white" probably has some black or yellow in it so no need for white ink. I'm obviously over thinking this thing :rolleyes:

I'll let you know what happens later after I print a test.

What did you wind up doing?

_

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What did you wind up doing?

_
Sorry, I forgot to get back… My Rip kept dropping the "off white" on the White Shirt setting so I used the Royal Blue setting.

That of course introduced white into the shirt so I went with the Firebird FBX Pre treat (dark). It didn't stain and I washed one without a problem so I think I dodged a bullet.

Never a dull day with this business! :p

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FBX100 can be used on whites/off-whites, it just needs very little. I'm glad to hear it worked out.
That's good to know. What do you recommend for grams? I set my speed treater for 14 grams, but that's what i use for my darks too.

What do you consider very little?

·
Registered
236 Posts
For spraying the whole front of the shirt, 14 grams sounds right for an off white. You can probably cut this back even farther, but I'd say stick with the highest amount that doesn't stain any time it's that light

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For spraying the whole front of the shirt, 14 grams sounds right for an off white. You can probably cut this back even farther, but I'd say stick with the highest amount that doesn't stain any time it's that light
I had a problem once with heather gray. Job looked awesome until about a week later. Then the staining kicked in and didn't wash out.

Luckily my warranty was over. :)

But is that from using too much? Do you guys make a light formula for whites and heathers?

·
Registered
236 Posts
We make Vivid pretreat for CMYK prints. Depending on the brand, that heather grey just might be light enough to make it work.

Did it take a week for that staining to show after you finished printing? Or was it coming up during prints?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We make Vivid pretreat for CMYK prints. Depending on the brand, that heather grey just might be light enough to make it work.

Did it take a week for that staining to show after you finished printing? Or was it coming up during prints?
Yea, the staining came up about a week after printing. They looked great otherwise. Color really popped!

·
Registered
236 Posts
This is a bit rare but can happen from time to time depending on how the shirts are stored after printing and seems to be the worst on lighter grays. The easiest solution is to just wash the shirts that you see doing it before it comes up to get rid of excess pretreat that might react with something to cause the issue

1 - 14 of 14 Posts