T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I just got setup with my new Epson F2000 and did some test prints with the technician and everything was going ok, today I pretreated a Black Shirt and the image came out really bad

Also is there anyway to make the images pop more? they all look washed out when I print on the shirt. I'm currently using Gildan Heavy Cotton shirts

Also, could people show me pictures of White on a Black shirt? and what brand shirts are best for the F2000

TIA
Ryan

Attachments

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Pretreat skill or select 90%. Add some more Pretreat 25g plus minus.
Use Fire Bird universal pretreat. 99% stain free too.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts

Could it be the Gildan shirts?

I'm using 60/40 mix pretreatment

Cheers

Try another shirt brand shirt and you will probably see a major improvement in your print quality. Gildan shirts do not seem to work well for dtg printing. You can read many posts on the Forums reporting the same.

_

·
Registered
329 Posts
Most anything 100% ringspun cotton. We have had best results with Anvil 980 / 880, Canvas and Gildan Ringspun (not heavy cotton). We have found that how the garment is pretreated probably has the most impact on print quality but it is something that needs to be tweaked over time based on the shirt material and color as well as what is being printed.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Unless they are electing to do a tube wash every week that seems high. On average we are printing over 2,000 shirts per month and we use about $50 per week for daily nozzle checks, head cleans and tube washing (we tube wash once a month).

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Gildan shirts work just fine, just make sure you use the 6.0 .oz Ultra Cotton t's.

You can manipulate your white ink output in Garment Creator.

Try a light mist of water from a spray bottle when pressing your pretreated shirts dry to get the fibers to lay down flatter. Clamp it with some pressure for about 30 seconds too.

I just got my F2000 set up the other day and yesterday was my first real day experimenting with it. My black shirts printed GREAT and I printed on Gildan Ultras. The Gildan 5.3 .oz Heavy Cotton t's are too coarse for DTG printing I would say. I'll post a couple of photos when I get back on my Mac at home.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Unless they are electing to do a tube wash every week that seems high. On average we are printing over 2,000 shirts per month and we use about $50 per week for daily nozzle checks, head cleans and tube washing (we tube wash once a month).
I sure hope my numbers come up that way. That would be great.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Thanks, I'm in Australia can someone recommend a proven quality dtg shirt that is available here
Hey Ryan,

I'm in Aus' and after sampling many different brands on the F2000 I found AScolour shirts to print the best. I mainly use the Staple tee but have printed on many of their garments and all print really well on the F2000. They're more expensive but as the ol' adage goes, 'you get what you pay for'. AScolour is a very high quality shirt and a great fit. I also found the Sportage Surf tee to print quite well and they're pretty good quality and fit too.

The prints you've shown certainly looks like crap . What settings are you using for the white in GC? I also use a 1:1 mix of Epson pretreat.

Using the most suitable shirt, mix of pretreat, and correct settings in GC, you should get results like this - http://www.t-shirtforums.com/epson-surecolor-dtg-printers/t487146.html

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
It looks to be you have a combination of white ink that's separated a bit giving a dull finish, a few blocked nozzles causing noticeable banding and potentially not enough pretreatment.

As for t-shirts. AS Colour as suggest are great and so is the Sportage range. The Gildan fabric is just not a tight enough weave with fibres that are way too long. Have never seen a good DTG result on Gildan unless heavy PT and ink was applied.

A good t-shirt for DTG are not just ringspun t-shirts. You need t-shirts which are combed cotton. It's a process which combs the cotton before the yarn is spun and that helps in taking out all the short fibres which cause fibrillation. What's left are the long soft fibers and a very tight, smooth finish. AS Colour and Sportage are mostly combed cotton garments. Most other local t-shirt suppliers have at least one combed cotton style in their catalogue these days.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thanks everyone, looking at the shirt after reading your comments it shows pretreatment and shirt type is the solution to a good print.

I tested on Gildan Heavy Cotton and Softstyle and it was a huge difference, I could only imagine the results if I'm using a better quality shirt

Also does everyone pretreat light garments also, I tested this and the result was 100x better.

Cheers,
Ryan

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Here are a few test prints that I made on Friday using Garment Creator.

These images were some HD wallpapers that my daughter had. I converted all of them into PNG's in Photoshop and bumped up the contrast and color saturation for use in GC. This was my first real day getting to experiment with the F2000 and I still have a very lot to learn but I was very pleased with the results.

All pics were taken with an iPhone 6 - no flash. Everything done in Garment Creator.

Pre-treat is IA Ultra using a Speed Treater. Everything purchased from the good folks at EZ.

1.) White only print feature. Stock settings with one pass on a Gildan Ultra:

2.) Gildan Ultra. 2 Passes on the white. 20 second delay between each pass. DPI turned up to max on white and black just to see how it would work:

3.) Gildan Heavy Cotton. Local high school design I did for screen printing a while back. 2 passes on the white. 20 second delay between passes. All other settings default. T-shirt color drop out (transparent) and fade done in Photoshop. Picture taken while t-shirt was still "hooped" on the printer:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wouldn't it be the same results as a Dark Shirt? I will give it a couple of washes and see what the results are like

1 - 20 of 82 Posts