T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, just wondering if anyone has experience with their Kiosk running out of steam when printing large images on coloured shirts which require big blocks of white ink to be laid down?

I am printing on black shirts with a solid image that's about 17cm x 26cm. The white ink starts off printing well but after a couple of centimetres the density of the print thins right out so I end up having to do anywhere between 3 and 6 white layers before I can start on the coloured layer.

I've changed the ink bottles, cleaned out the lines, flushed the dampers both ways, cleaned the print head, done multiple head cleans and none of it has made any difference.

Other images with much smaller areas of white layer seem to print just fine, its only this large solid image that is giving me so much grief (and the customer waiting for his shirts!!).

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Helen,

The first thing you should do is contact the Distributor that sold you the printer as they would be the most familiar with it. In general, there are two main reasons why the white ink does not look good on a shirt.

1) Ink Stravation - this means that over a period of time, the ability of the print head to continue to pull the same amount of white ink through the nozzles is less than when it started. Thus, the print head will be firing less white ink. You might have to raise the white ink bottle(s) some, but don't do this without talking to your Distributor.

2) Pretreatment Process - the white ink will only look good if you have a proper coat of pretreatment on the shirt to allow the white ink to stay on top of the fabrics. A poor pretreatment process will make the white ink look bad.

There is absolutely no reasons why you should do more than 2 passes of white ink. Thus, you have an abnormal problem. Hope this helps you in the right direction.

Mark

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Helen,

Here are a couple of other things to check:
- verify that the breather holes in the ink bottles are clean
- make sure that the ink lines are not crimped/pinched anywhere
- if you have an original Kiosk, make sure you are not getting any air leaking in around the valves
- make sure your machine is level
- make certain that your white ink bottles a re more than 50% full before printing
- when you do get a fade like described, do a nozzle check afterward to see if you are indeed losing nozzles
- if you haven't done so lately - you may want to consider replacing your capping station and pump assembly
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Don & Mark. Have ticked off each item on your list,and still have poor results on the nozzle checks. We removed the valves from our white ink lines some months ago, at the suggestion of our distributor. Have replaced all the ink lines last night. The capping station and pump assembly are about a year old...how often should they be changed? I've cleaned the print head with cleaning solution about half an hour ago as well...my distributor and the main supplier in Australia all shut up shop for Christmas in a few days leaving us in the wilderness at our busiest time of the year, so to say I'm starting to get nervous is an understatement!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don we have a 500 shirt order to get out in a hurry so even if we can get the new pump and capping station, we need to keep printing in the meantime, so I was wondering what you think about raising the white ink bottles...will this support the pump to draw a bit more ink through?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers. Any suggestions on height? I did have the ink dripping problem with the bottles raised about 3" so I know its got to be less than that...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for that, I raided my partners stash of vitamin pills and am using the lids from those. New capping station and pump ordered...Still laying down a rubbish white layer but hopefully the customer will be so full of Christmas cheer, they won't notice!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts