T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have begun seeing a new issue on my T-Jet. It started on the last job.

I started noticing the white ink layer was getting thinner and thinner. The spits on the cleaning station and the opposite were getting less and less volume till they were almost no white lines on the spit station or capping station.

They would go back to normal after a head cleaning but after about 1 print would start going bad again. So I pulled the head over to swap it off and found the white ink majorly clumped on the head itself.

So I took a picture. Steps i did to recreate this:

1. Cleaned capping station
2. Swabbed head
3. Ran head clean
4. Printed 720x720
5. Pulled head over and shot the picture

This is after one print.

White ink was shaken and repulled prior to printing. Firebird Inks, White ink was purchased March 13. Not sure if the age has anything to do with it or not.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Attachments

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep. Done all that.

The only thing that has changed is I have build a box around the printer to control humidity better.

Would static electricity cause this? Not sure how to even check for that. I have also lowered the ink bottle platform down 7 1/2 right now which has helped keep the ink drops forming on the surface of the head, but as you can see there is still some kind of misting effect (for lask of a better explanation) happening almost like the droplets are being attracted back to the head, which i think is the main reason there is clumping now.

· Registered
1,397 Posts
DuPont ink does the same thing especially if your printing a lot of white. The wiper blade isn't strong enough to completely wipe the ink off of the head so it smears it. It is built for thin Epson ink. I've seen this a lot. I recommend just wiping it off with an alcohol pad. This should be done as part of your daily maintenance as well. If left it will build up and eventually clog the print head.

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Billy, I understand what your saying but don't think it applies.

I can wipe it clean, check it before printing and it will be clear clean head nothing on it. After one print is done that is what it looks like.

Head cleaning works just fine and the wiper blade is doing its job.

If you look closely at the image, you will see its not a smear but rather droplets. Its as if the spray is being attracted back to the head.

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
on a side note i picked up a Epson 2200 photo printer for some spare parts.

I dont really want to keep the howl printer hanging around, what the best way to store the small parts, ie the encoder strip etc? Zip lock baggies and storage bins?

I am also presuming that once i thoroughly clean the printhead of the photo inks I can store as well?

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I was going to go ahead and replace it like Billy mentioned earlier.

Ken also thought it looked like static so I will be putting a rubber pad under the printer. I am wondering if the air being blown in through the vent is causing some kind of static air. I would have thought if i touched the printer i would get shocked if it was static but i dont.

Its a curious event.

· Registered
1,397 Posts
Yeah I was going to go ahead and replace it like Billy mentioned earlier.

Ken also thought it looked like static so I will be putting a rubber pad under the printer. I am wondering if the air being blown in through the vent is causing some kind of static air. I would have thought if i touched the printer i would get shocked if it was static but i dont.

Its a curious event.
I would rule out the box you built around the printer. Try running it for a few days with out it. What is the humidity level inside the box?

· Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Still stumped.

Got new ink in yesterday and clean out the bottles prior to putting it in. Waterfalled the head and cleaned everything real good. Had the box removed for the last couple days also. Replaced the entire capping station and wiper with a new one and still after one or two prints the head has some white ink on it.

I will post some more pics later as I was trying to get a job done last night. I have to finish it up tonight but will try to get some additional pics done during the process

I have another head I may try to put it. Just need to clean the photo inks out of it first

Sent from my iPad using TShirtForums app

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.