T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have printed a white [lastisol ink on a silver ink. The silver came out really smooth. Problem is the white, looks really bumpy. kinda like an orange! Im wondering what could have casued this. I didnt over cook it thats for sure. I think it might be becasue the ink wasnt "warmed up" enough? Maybe it was too thick? thanks for the help!

·
Registered
243 Posts
My guess… without looking, is the two inks aren’t getting along for some reason. When it gets some heat there’s probably a reaction.

Why are you overlapping?

Are they both from the same manufacture?

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah theyre the same brand.
Honestly, i think its due to the ink being cold. When i scoop it its like grease. thick. hard. not very liquid. after a few screens, you know, moving it around a bit, it becomes more managable. Could this be the problem? This is one instance. i have used these two inks together, and succeeded.

·
Registered
227 Posts
ffokazak said:
Hey guys, I have printed a white [lastisol ink on a silver ink. The silver came out really smooth. Problem is the white, looks really bumpy. kinda like an orange! Im wondering what could have casued this. I didnt over cook it thats for sure. I think it might be becasue the ink wasnt "warmed up" enough? Maybe it was too thick? thanks for the help!
What your desribing sounds like the screen not snapping smoothly off the white...
If so then could be platen getting too hot if your flashing to long or off contact being a bit to low... another cause can be not enough adhesive and the shirt is pulling up off the platen causing it to stick to the screen.... the screen mesh will cause that rough look your describing...

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't use that brand. But you might try working it hard for a while. But I don't think that's it. Best to go w/ your gut and give it a try...

Usually if the screen is dragging it will cause air. And you said it wasn't that.

Sometimes crappy screens and paint can cause some unique problems. If you don’t need to overlap… don’t.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I always stir my inks before putting it onto the screen. You want your inks to flow, nice and creamy!! Also make sure that the shirt has cooled before your next layer.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
" Also make sure that the shirt has cooled before your next layer."

How cool do you mean?
When im doing a run of 50 shirts, i dont want to be waiting around more than i have to. I usually just print the next colour once i've flashed teh previous one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
You must be careful because your platen will start to heat up and start causing your inks to dry on your screen. Your inks will start curing on your screen, this will create small bumps on your shirt and small clogs in your screen. That's another reason why you should not flash any longer than necesary, keeps the platens cooler. I have no idea what type of press your using but I have a four station so by the time I'm done with printing three shirts the fourth one has cooled long enough to print over it. I sometimes hang a small fan just to make sure to keep the temp. down. The bottom line is sometimes you have no choice but to wait for the platen to cool.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Im having a issue some what like this
The print get to feel bumpy sometimes like it might be sticking to the screen or something
But it seems to be only on 1 side of the design.
What does this sound like it could be?
I have off contact printing white ink on black shirt.
I used some reducer eith the ink. I have a new squegee.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts