T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have recently imprinted 1 color, White (full front) on Yellow, Hanes Beefy T's and they were sent back with a strange, blue (hint) of ghosting on the back of the shirts. We were not sure if it was coming from the front imprint, or fom the shirt laying on top of it shortly after the ovens. However, upon turning the shirts inside-out and looking at the back of the front imprints, the white imprinted area appears to have a bluish haze around it. We use Wilflex inks and one of their reps said they had seen this (randomly) on both Yellow shirts and brown.

Has anyone run across similar issues?

I apologize that I've not yet been able to fill-out my profile, but my problem led me to this aparently awesome site and I need this question posted immediately. I would appreciate any thoughts.

I am a freelance designer and also work for a screen printer. We have had problems in the past about using White imprinting on Red shirts and the possible bleeding. This we have managed to avoid most times now. We've just run across a new issue no one seems to be able to give any thoughts towards muchless possible solutions.

Thanks for any thoughts...
DannO

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Hi DannO, I just wanted to welcome you to the T-Shirt Forums!

Hopefully one of our screen printing experts will be able to post some advice on the ink issue soon.

·
Registered
86 Posts
ZDannO said:
the white imprinted area appears to have a bluish haze around it.
Hi ZDannO, Nice to meet you. The problem you have sounds "sort of" like dye migration. This is an effect that is generally seen on shirts containing polyester but it's also happened on cotton shirts on our production floor. In the case of polyester the dyes used for garments don't bind themselves to the polyester. sometimes cotton shirts will do the same thing. This effect can be seen immediately after curing or can appear weeks after the shirts have been delivered. (sucks when it's weeks) Red and Maroon shirts with white ink are the most notorious for this effect but many other combinations can be trouble. Usually this is just the ink turning a shade of the pigment that is already in the shirt. Sometimes I have seen a "halo" effect around the ink but I have never seen it migrate to the back of the garment. Also, you mentioned White ink on a Yellow HBT causing a Bluish haze to appear. That one totally throws me. I have never seen a pigment that is not already in the mix show up. I would seriously call the ink manufacturer back and push harder for an explanation. Ask them if it's their ink that caused the problem. When they say no ask them for proof. If they have seen it happen you can bet they have researched it to cover their butts. While I'm on the topic of inks (we also use Wilflex) When we print on possible migration prone colors we use a low-bleed ink. Wilflex has a nice selection to meet your specific needs. Sorry I can't be of more help. When you do get to the bottom of it please post the information. I am totally curious now. Here is a nice article on impressions that I just found.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts