T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I am very excited, I ordered the Hix 600, 16X20 swingman today and cannot wait for it to arrive.

Now I am looking into the Corel Draw software program, but i am a bit confused. The newest version they have is the, X3 so that is the one I am thinking of getting but then the price swings at such a drastic difference, most of the online stores are offering the program for around $399 but I came across this one store that offers it for the full version for $125 how can that be? Please tell me what I should be looking for to make sure I do not get ripped off online buying this product.

Looking to the masters for some answers.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
You should probably buy from the official store or amazon.

If you see low prices, it's probably too good to be true (pirated software or unauthorized educational discounted software).

·
Registered
950 Posts
It is most likely a full academic version, also known as the educational version. You are supposed to be a student or something to be able to get it, but most of the time the seller doesn't care.

Although these are full working versions, they do not qualify for updates or upgrades. You do save money getting an academic version, but I would not take that route. It will cost you more later on, and you might have to go without tech support. (not sure about the support)

$399 is not that much money for a program as powerful as CorelDraw X3 when you compare it to other very good programs.
Plus what you are getting is a suite, so it includes CorelDRAW® X3, Corel® PowerTRACE X3, PHOTO-PAINT® X3, Corel CAPTURE™ X3 (for capturing screen images) and RawShooter (for importing and working with the RAW digital camera format)

However, $399 is still a lot of money, I agree.

·
Registered
950 Posts
At the bottom of the CorelDraw X3 page at softwaresurplus, it says Full install - educational license.

That's very sneaky of them I think.

·
Registered
282 Posts
A while back, amazon had Corel X3 for $329 with free shipping and drawing tablet. I know it's a lot of money, but buy the latest full version if you can. And get the boxed set versus download as there are extra cds not available from download (from reading other posts).

I was lucky to have been given Corel Draw 12. I WANT X3 and will upgrade in a few months. I have been cramming Corel Draw at lightening pace and like version 12 a lot so am anxious to try out the improved trace feature in X3.

I believe Corel Draw 12 is about $150. Just use caution when buying a used copy...as it may not be a full version, you may not be able to register, etc.
You might want to shop around. Try pricewatch.com to see what pops up for Corel Draw Suite 12

I have seen some enjoy using a less expensive vector/bitmap program called Xara Extreme and think there's a a sale going on right now. Why don't you download freeware called DrawPlus.

Forgive my not providing links and some spelling/name errors. I'm a little looney from too much work. But like to answer here at t-shirtforums.com. My way of contributing back for all the sharing of information that I enjoyed.

Also, I think I got promotional pricing from screenprinters.net (must sign up, etc. to forum/newsletter). If I recall $399 plus a bunch of extras....tutorials, clipart, fonts.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I recently purchased X3 for $344 at buy.com. Great improvements over version 12. They have a really good tracing program if you ever need to do line.

I've been using Corel for illustration for a few years, and prefer it to illustrator or freehand.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts