T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which type of T-shirt works best with stock heat transfers? Is 100% cotton any better or is a 50/50 blend? Also is a heavier better, like a 6.1 or do lighter weights works as well or any better?

Thanks in advance for your help

·
Administrator
14,474 Posts
Your shirt choice should first be based on your customer, not on your production method. Does you no good to have shirts made based on your production needs if your target market won't buy them.

Decide who your market is, choose the best shirt for that market, then work out production details.

That said, stock transfers really work on either 100% or 50/50 and any weight shirt. :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your shirt choice should first be based on your customer, not on your production method. Does you no good to have shirts made based on your production needs if your target market won't buy them.

Decide who your market is, choose the best shirt for that market, then work out production details.

That said, stock transfers really work on either 100% or 50/50 and any weight shirt. :)
Thanks, I am going to try and sell some at a flea market. So really I don't know which anyone would prefer. I figured if the transfers looked better or were easier to put on (so my work would look the best) on a type of shirt that would be the best choice. Or if the transfers lasted longer on a certain shirt that would be better also.

I thought others might have found an advantage or two to using either 100% cotton or 50/50.

·
Registered
6,874 Posts
The transfers should apply satisfactory to either material and have similar lasting quality. I would recommend a 100% pre shrunk cotton such as Gildan or Anvil.

·
Registered
171 Posts
50/50 garmets are definitely easier to apply onto
than on 100 percent cotton garmets. The reason being mainly that
heat transfers are produced mainly with plastisol
inks which are made up of poly-vinyl polymers. The poly -vinyl polymers tend to easily adhere to a 50/50 garmet that has polyester in it rather than to a 100 percent cotton garmet. I usually tell my customers when using 100 percent cotton to
preheat the garmet first(cotton tends to hold moisture more readily) and to press afew seconds longer than what they set for when printing on 50-50.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
50/50 garmets are definitely easier to apply onto
than on 100 percent cotton garmets. The reason being mainly that
heat transfers are produced mainly with plastisol
inks which are made up of poly-vinyl polymers. The poly -vinyl polymers tend to easily adhere to a 50/50 garmet that has polyester in it rather than to a 100 percent cotton garmet. I usually tell my customers when using 100 percent cotton to
preheat the garmet first(cotton tends to hold moisture more readily) and to press afew seconds longer than what they set for when printing on 50-50.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I have already placed an order for 100% cotton. Oh well, I hope they work OK. I can always switch to 50/50 for my next order if I have problems. I will make sure to preheat first as you suggested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts