T-Shirt Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
If you buy CorelDraw you also get their paint program (which can also be bought on its own). But it is CorelDraw that is the main attraction. It is a vector program, which--in my opinion--is better than a paint type program for graphic design.

A new version is out, X7; it is $499, which is cheaper than the Adobe products. I have X6 (version 16), and have used CorelDraw since version 3, way back in the early 1990s.

CorelDraw includes:
Main Applications
CorelDRAW® X7 – Vector illustration and page layout
Corel® PHOTO-PAINT™ X7 – Image editing
Corel® PowerTRACE™ X7 – Bitmap-to-vector tracing (included in CorelDRAW X7)
Corel® CONNECT™ – Content finder
Corel® CAPTURE™ X7 – Screen capture tools
Corel® Website Creator™* – Website design
PhotoZoom Pro 3† – Plug-in for enlarging digital images
ConceptShare™ – Online collaboration tool

* CorelDRAW Standard Membership account required to download this application
† Registration required

Supporting Applications
Barcode Wizard
Duplexing Wizard
Bitstream® Font Navigator®

Content
10,000 clipart and digital images
2,000 high-resolution digital photos
1,000 OpenType fonts
350 professionally designed templates
2,000 vehicle templates
800 frames and patterns

You can download a free trial. I suggest doing that before spending your money.

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
It really comes down to personal preference.....Whether you go with Adobe or Corel, they both get the job done....

If you are working in-house and do not send and/or receive files from clients and/or vendors Corel would be my 1st choice (although Adobe in my personal favourite)...Corel has a much lower start up cost...

If you are sending and/or receiving files from clients and/or vendors you will run into occasional issue trying to work with Adobe files in Corel....

Now Corel users will try to convince you Adobe files open fine in Corel....And they are correct until they are not...By that I mean many Adobe files will open just fine in Corel but every so often you will get a file that has effects that do not translate well....Drop shades and the new round corners stuff can be problematic....

Of course you can inconvenience your client ask them to save the file in a way that is outside their typical work flow....Some will do it and get on with life.....Others will find another supplier and get on with life.....

Over the years I have found it necessary to keep up to date with both Adobe (love the cloud) and Corel.....although I sometimes fall behind on Corel as it may be months or even years before I see new files I can not open....But when I do, I update.....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks... i really appreciate the input.
IMO Adobe CC has great value. You get the full range of Adobe Products (and all updates) for a single monthly price. Its 50/month (minimum 1 year commitment) or 75/month(no commitment cancel anytime).

But its all about preference and I know theres a quite a few people out there that will balk at paying a monthly fee. Inkscape is powerful (and free) I have not used Corel so I cant speak on that.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
IMO Adobe CC has great value. You get the full range of Adobe Products (and all updates) for a single monthly price. Its 50/month (minimum 1 year commitment) or 75/month(no commitment cancel anytime).

But its all about preference and I know theres a quite a few people out there that will balk at paying a monthly fee. Inkscape is powerful (and free) I have not used Corel so I cant speak on that.
The quality and reliability of Adobe software is incredible but yeah, I balk at the very concept of renting software. I can't support a system like that. Why would I want to suddenly begin paying far more for what was already expensive software? It feels like the used car salesperson who says, "Hey what difference does the cost make as long as you can afford the monthly payments, right".

·
Registered
263 Posts
I was lucky and got Adobe CS6 Design and Web Premium for $460 - I was a student at the time and got it off of Amazon. It's a forever learning experience...

·
Registered
31 Posts
The quality and reliability of Adobe software is incredible but yeah, I balk at the very concept of renting software. I can't support a system like that. Why would I want to suddenly begin paying far more for what was already expensive software? It feels like the used car salesperson who says, "Hey what difference does the cost make as long as you can afford the monthly payments, right".
Yea totally understandable I just so happen to use not only PS & AI but do a lot of work in PP and AE as well as some InDesign so to me its worth it espically since adobe does tend to update often but its not a good option/value for everyone. Also I'm one of those people that always wants the latest version of anything even if I don't always use new features.:D

21 - 29 of 29 Posts