T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the option of using photoshop 7, corel draw 8 or inkscape. I would like to get familar with one and stick with it instead of trying to learn them all. I will be using the programs for t-shirt designs, mostly using clip art type designs and would like to do color separations at some point. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as to which one is more user friendly. Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
i use corel and photoshop...
i'm not familiar with inkscape...
but for me corel is the most efficient program to use..it has both raster and vector imaging apps...

·
Registered
311 Posts
There will be a new version (ver. 0.47) of Inkscape out around june 15, 2009. There will be vast improvements in both functionality and stability over the current release.

Somebody is working on a ICC/CMYK workflow, and it will probably be available in the development version in a few month. Correct color management - seen away from CMYK separation and tagging SVG elements with ICC profiles - will probably be available in ver. 0.47. At the moment, the limitation in CMYK separation can be worked around by using modified ICC printer profiles.

A new spray tool has been developed, but it has not been finished in time to come into the new release. It will be included in the development version soon after the new release.

Else, I think the worst limitation in Inkscape at the moment, is the slow rendering if you work on designs with more then 100.000 vectors/points.

The calligraphic tool, the filters, clone and tile, live path edit and the Python scripting in Inkscape are almost unsurpassable, but I don't know the other programs sufficiently to compare.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
If you haven't already invested in any of the 3 listed, check out "Gimp." The software is a free download & is comparable to any graphics software. From what you're application is going to be, it should be more than enough. I've been using it for a while now & love it. See for yourself. Be Well, S.

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
I currently have Corel X3, Illy and Photoshop CS3. I began using Corel when I started in this business but because I am taking a web design course i needed to use Illy and Photoshop. I have only been using the Adobe products for about 2 months now and have use Corel for 9 years. I am finding that things that are really easy in Corel are not so easy in Illy or Shop and vice versa. All are great programs but I find myself using Corel more, it just seems a bit easier to get get the same job done. All of them have a big learning curve so it will be tough in the beginning. I have in the past used Xara, Inkscape, and Gimp and I came back to Corel.

Corel and Photoshop offer free 30 day trials check them out and see how they work for you, and as the above posters stated Xara, Gimp, and Inkscape are all free.

Katrina

·
Registered
815 Posts
Hmmm... As someone that has only used Photoshop in the past (for photogaphs) and is looking for a better software for printing the question is what is more targeted for the trade?

·
Registered
417 Posts
photoshop is alot more than just photographs and photo retouching.

I would say corel is more targeted because there are alot more things that install as plugins and such with corel than anyone else. It is also probably the most afforedable. I am a big illustrator guy but i do like some of the extra stuff you can get to work with corel draw.

It really comes down too playing with them all and figuring out what works best for you.

but as of right now i do a little in both illustrator and corel i only go into photoshop if i really need raster effects.

i have never used inkscape.

Hmmm... As someone that has only used Photoshop in the past (for photogaphs) and is looking for a better software for printing the question is what is more targeted for the trade?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Targeted for the trade.......I think it boils down to your ability to work the programs. If you no how to work the programs you can achieve the look you are after. If you are just doing text and words if you wanted to you can do it with MS word and would not need these programs at all.
hmmmm targeted for the trade.....it is what ever program fits your style, every one here has there program of choice and a reason why it is their choice but that does not make it the right program for you.

Katrina

·
Registered
29 Posts
Tee Shirt Design

Can anyone tell me which program allows a person when designing artwork to show a sample/version of the artwork imposed on a computer generated TShirt?

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
All of them. It is called a mock up, done with a t-shirt template.

Katrina

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
Can you possibly tell me how to do that, my Corel skills are still progressing? Thank you!

Coleman
Here is one with another program. check youtube they have several tutorials.

How to Create Photorealistic T-Shirt Mockups|GoMediaZine.

Also advanced graphics has a free shirt template pack which can placed in Corel and put your design on to see how it would possibly look.

Also search the Forums as several posts on this subject have been posted.

Veedub3

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have the option of using photoshop 7, corel draw 8 or inkscape. I would like to get familar with one and stick with it instead of trying to learn them all. I will be using the programs for t-shirt designs, mostly using clip art type designs and would like to do color separations at some point. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as to which one is more user friendly. Thanks!
Photoshop. Use Photoshop and really learn it. You will be able to do more than any other single application can claim.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
This statement is IMHO, but I don't think you will find this product to be useful. I've never used it, or even seen it in action, but from what I can read on Adobe's website, I would say that it certainly isn't built to do what we do here, but I won't say that you can't get any use out of it.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
find a printer that you're comfortable with and discuss what he/she will be looking for as far as artwork file formats etc.

he/she will definitely know corel, illustrator and photoshop and most likely laugh at you when you mention those freebie programs (gimp and inkscape).:)

photoshop is a great program, you might want to get a newer version though.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I use Corel, Do a little experimenting and let the folks at Advanced Artist help, it's well worth it. I have no affiliation with them and have a fairly good back round in Corel. They have got it goin' on.
Ric

1 - 20 of 29 Posts