T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Could anyone let me know which program is better for making your own designs. PhotoShop or Corel Draw (or please suggest another program). Most of my designs right now are somewhat like tribal tattoos but I would like to do more intricate work/designs. I will be screen printing.

I would also like to find a program that has designs already but I can modify to make it my own style.

Thanks to everyone in advance!! :)

· Registered
1,534 Posts
Hi everyone,

Could anyone let me know which program is better for making your own designs. PhotoShop or Corel Draw (or please suggest another program). Most of my designs right now are somewhat like tribal tattoos but I would like to do more intricate work/designs. I will be screen printing.

I would also like to find a program that has designs already but I can modify to make it my own style.

You're not comparing apples to apples. You should compare Corel Draw to another vector application such as Illustrator. Compare Photoshop to raster applications such as Photopaint. It's hard to say which one you should choose but you get the greatest flexibility from having both a vector and a raster application.

· Registered
1,335 Posts
With Corel Draw you get both Photo Paint and Corel Draw in Corel Draw Grapics Suite. Photoshop and Illustrator are sold separately for a lot more money. The Adobe programs do have some slight advantages, but I have always been able to do anything in need in Corel. God Bless.

· Registered
49 Posts
Hi, I use illustrator for all my designs. You have to remember photoshop is based on raster images and corel draw and Illustrator on vector graphics. So whatever your needs are is what you should get. With illustrator and corel draw you can later on add a cutter/plotter and use it, but you would not be able to use it with photoshop. Im just giving you an idea of what your possibilities are. Good luck

· Registered
1,559 Posts
Hi everyone,

I recommend you learn both raster (bitmap) and vector (mathematical paths) programs. Knowing both will benefit you in the long run.

If you want to work more like a traditional artist that paints or sketches on canvas or paper, then you want to start with a raster program like Photoshop using a digital drawing tablet.

But if you are a computer geek and want to use a mouse to create shapes, then a vector program like Illustrator would be good.

One important note: if you were to start with a raster program, it is critical that the artwork you create meets some parameters and requirements so it can be printed at large sizes. If not, you will have spent time on artwork that will not be usable for large format printing methods (like screen printing).

· Registered
11 Posts
I suggest both but for the money corel is your best bet.

You could try gimp over adobe it's free:D fhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP

Never used it myself but have friends that love it.
I'm with the rest that said to learn both. Then you can decide which is best for your needs. But vector works best for me but I used photoshops for special effects and full color printing. Remember there are always pros and cons withany programs haven't found one that can do it all...

· Registered
1,831 Posts
Hi everyone,

If you are getting started is a great place to start it is easier to use, easier to learn and costs much much less.

This video will show you how easy it is to create intricate designs in minutes in draw.

[media]http://www.advancedtshirts.com/videos/affliction.flv[/media]

This design was actually created for a professional MMA fight but I changed the text for the tutorial. I created intial design in about 15 minutes. Actually Corel gives you excellent for creating the looks that are hot today.

See is believing...

· Registered
1,831 Posts
Hi everyone,

FYI you can buy CorelDRAW X4 on ebay for around $100. Just makes sure you get a full retail version and not the educational version.

· Registered
109 Posts
For day to day simple designs I use Freehand MX. I also use Photoshop AND Illustrator, every single day. If you are JUST starting out, I think Freehand is the way to go. It is very user friendly, and the way it works is very similar to Illustrator, so when you are ready to do more complicated artwork, the move to Illustrator is smoother. I use Photoshop to alter photos to get an easier image to work with, place into a Freehand document and draw over it with the pen tool using corners and curves, and use Illustrator for the complex things that Freehand seems to be unable to handle. I use all three EVERY day, five days a week. Our screenprinting shop puts out four to six jobs a day, all the artwork done by me, and of all the programs I've used, Freehand has been the easiest and quickest to learn.

· Registered
8 Posts
honestly working in a screenprinting shop that caters to the athletic industry Corel Is all i use 8 hours a day 5 days a week. Once in a while i use photoshop just for our large format vinyl printing depending on if i cant get the right effect in corel draw or photopaint. I have a Background of 10 years using photoshop and 5 years with corel, honestly i use corel for everything being made in the real worold and photoshop for website stuff.

· Registered
383 Posts
nice.........

Adobe programs are more advanced.
As mentioned before,
Photoshop is designed for "photo" manipulation
Illustrator is designed for "Illustrating", which is more suitable for your needs but it doesn't sound like you want to put much effort into it. But if you do want to take the time, there are a ton of great tutorials.

You may be better off with Corel. Or ms paint and some clip art cds.;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.