T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I know that this question has been asked plenty of times, but for m i hv no back ground knowledge of graphics design, i tried my best to find a designer nearby me but failed, so i think i need to learn it for my basic requirement atleast

Can you suggest which software will be easiest to start with, this query in concern with t-shirt art work design

Thanks !

Sudhir

·
Administrator
14,730 Posts
For the most versatility, you'll want to look at a vector based program.

The 3 most popular are Illustrator, Coreldraw, and Inkscape. Inkscape is free Inkscape. Draw Freely.

You can download a free trial of the other two from Untitled Document and Adobe and test them out before you buy.

I personally use Coreldraw and love it. But you will find fans of the other two as well.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I downloaded inkscape for the heck of it. It wont let me import any of my eps files. Does it have to be in svg format for it to work? If it does i guess i will stick with illustrator.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I too am pretty new to the graphic design side. I knew Photoshop from a previous "life". I have since purchased CorelDraw.

From a newbie perspective, I think Corel is the better of the two (in terms of learning and getting up and running).

Photoshop is great, but (again, as a fellow noob), the use I get from Corel in the design application is far better.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I downloaded inkscape for the heck of it. It wont let me import any of my eps files. Does it have to be in svg format for it to work? If it does i guess i will stick with illustrator.
You need pstoedit installed in order to open eps files.
Then make, in your Inkscape directory, a file named pstoedit.cmd with the content:
"c:\program files\pstoedit\pstoedit.exe" %1 %2

Similarly, install Ghostscript and make a file gs.cmd with the content:
"c:\program files\gs\gs8.63\bin\gswinc.exe" %1 %2
Modify if the programs are installed elsewhere or have newer version number.

Ghostscript is used instead of pstoedit in the newest development releases.

EDIT: You may need, that the PATH environment includes the path: c:\program files\gs\gs8.63\lib

·
Registered
311 Posts
Inkscape has undergone vast improvements in the recent development versions.
I am using this development version (Windows version). Just unpack it, install the above mentioned files and run it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for so much of information, i m currently downloading InkScape, i hope it will get me what i want

Will keep you guys posted !!

thanks !

·
Administrator
14,730 Posts
I too am pretty new to the graphic design side. I knew Photoshop from a previous "life". I have since purchased CorelDraw.

From a newbie perspective, I think Corel is the better of the two (in terms of learning and getting up and running).

Photoshop is great, but (again, as a fellow noob), the use I get from Corel in the design application is far better.

Hope that helps a little.
You are really comparing two different type of programs. Corel is vector based software. Photoshop is not. Think of photoshop as a jpg manipulation software. Corel is vector manipulation.

It's good to have both of these program. One does not really overlap the other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts