T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
371 Posts
To be honest I dont really know for sure. I am far from an electronics engineer.

It may well be possible but you would need to pay very close attention to the fuse rating and if they are slow or fast blow fuses.

I would imagine the job is fairly intricate as well.

If the wrong fuse type is selected and the soldering job not done correctly I can imagine that more damage can be done to the rest of the system which could be costly, so I need to urge you to be cautious.

There are a few companies in the USA ( I assume that is where you are located) that will repair the fuse if you send the board to them.

If you do want to integrate a fuse holder to the board then i would suggest having a local electronics engineering company look at it and give their verdict, in any case I think this option commes with a certain risk.

Jerry
DTG Digital

· Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here are pics of the board. Equipment Zone said $150 to repair, SWF charges $226 for a new board. If this is something i can't fix, I would rather spend the extra $76 for a new board. I do know how to solder, I have just not seen any post about anyone fixing this particular board.

Attachments

· Registered
1,264 Posts
You might as well watch a few you tube videos on soldering and try it yourself. It really is not that hard. I had to do two of mine in the past. If you do not feel like you did an acceptable job, you can always just buy the new board.

I am actually shocked that the board is only $226 from SWF. I am also shocked that EZ wants $150 to do it.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
You might as well watch a few you tube videos on soldering and try it yourself. It really is not that hard. I had to do two of mine in the past. If you do not feel like you did an acceptable job, you can always just buy the new board.
Just be careful with the amount of heat as surface mount components have very small traces that can easily lift of the board.

I am actually shocked that the board is only $226 from SWF. I am also shocked that EZ wants $150 to do it.
If any one feels unconformable doing this they can send us the board.
The standard price is $25.00 for a single fuse block or $35.00 for the 4800/4880 series that need 2 blocks.

· Registered
5,540 Posts
Can anyone post a picture or two of a board that they have added an external fuse holder to, so everyone will have an idea of what is involved.
Here are the actual directions that I received from Karl Steele (SteeleTec) that got us up and running.. Thanks again Karl ..

I get alot of questions about the HM-1 so I am hoping to find the answer, as well. I am have sent the instructions to many of them but never got a response.. BeachBumz I know we talked and I hope we can find a solution..

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Just so every one understands the reasons why this happens in the first place and that its' not a 100% guaranteed fix since other component may have not survived the blow.

This fuse is protecting the head driver output devices and print head from catastrophic failure, however it's not 100% effective at doing so. Without the fuse protecting this circuit its could take out every thing along its path...not very pretty and could be prone to fire....there is a saying in the engineering world that is "don,t let the smoke out".

There is a chance that the short (usually liquid migrating into the print head connector) may still exist in the print head cable that would need to be replaced.
There is also a chance that the fuse did not act fast enough and damaged the output devices or print head, but not as common.
If this is the case the fuse will not fix the problem and the board will need to be replaced.

If the print head cable checks out OK and the output devices survived, then the addition of the external fuse should bring it back to life.
If it ever happens again then its easy to change the fuse, and extra one/s will be provided with the modification that hopefully you will never need....

Under no circumstance put a different value fuse other then the one/s provided.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.