T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which dealer you buy your F2000 from doesn't matter.... or so it seems Epson (and some dealers) would have you believe. Just checked the Epson site and looked at the list of F2000 dealers out there. Huge increase from a year ago. Not sure Epson applies a litmus test for being a dealer.... but my experiences would say no. I have had my F2000 for 16 months now. Put my deposit down 24 months ago. While I did have a year of DTG printing experience before this, DTG has a huge learning curve even for those that considered themselves tech savvy. From the machine, to the software, to the garments, to dealing with customers.... there is a lot to learn and you will discover new things all the time. Frustrating and aggravating sometimes? Absolutely! But I LOVE what I do and enjoy this industry very much.

BUT, I get phone calls almost every week, from newer Epson SureColor users with their white flags up. They will call asking help with pretreat or curing or print settings or garment choices or RIP settings or.... ? I always ask what advise their dealer gave them during training. Most of them either got no training except for the user manual or a quick phone consult. One user even had suggested to her by the "tech" that she should call Epson or an older dealer like Equipment Zone because they have been doing this forever. She called me because it was 4pm west coast time on a Friday and the small text on a last minute job was coming out blurred. (She needed to thread her shirt on the platen so she could raise it up higher and print in uni mode). I get these calls all the time and don't mind helping when I can. Every dealer should be providing basic set up and training. Many do not.

If you are thinking about getting into DTG, I hope you spend a good amount of time reading these posts. A growing amount of experienced F2000 users here are always giving positive and constructive help. There are also just a few dealers consistently here who give great advice as well. I've learned this only comes from experience. If you go back far enough you will see that Equipment Zone, Bellequette, AA and a couple others are real DTG professionals who love this industry as much as some of us do. As far as I know the printers are all sold at the same price as mandated by Epson. But with that said, there is a huge difference in "value". Be smart in your investment. Be even smarter with your dealer.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think this is true in almost any industry where high end tech products like printers get sold. So many companies who sell the stuff do so with little knowledge of whether are selling. If someone is selling a LOT of product, chances are they do not know anything about any of it beyond what is on the tech sheet.

I got my F2000 from Melco, they printed a bunch of samples for me and even set me up with an appointment to go to one of their sales people and let me get hands on with the machine and basically get trained on it, including seeing how their sales guy pretreated shirts and used the Garment Creator software. All BEFORE I bought a machine.

Anyway, the other thing to keep in mind when you get samples from any dealer, they like to use what I refer to as torch settings, like going into a Best Buy and looking at all the bright, vivid images of the TVS on the wall. In reality you would never set your TVS to those settings because they would burn out your expensive flat screen in 18 months. Likewise DTG dealers are not really paying for their ink, so load up the white ink and saturate the heck out of everything. You would never do a shirt where the ink cost was twice as high as the shirt cost, not in a real world setting. Sure, looks amazing, but what you would need to charge for that shir would be astronomical.

So, always do your homework and ask other people who have had success where they bought their machines from to try and narrow the field down a bit.

Dan Vado

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Agree with a lot of above. I get calls at night and on weekends from people that bought from other dealers. While Epson is the primary warranty and tech support source I feel the basic problems and DTG techniques should be handled by the dealer.
As for torch settings. At the shows AA uses production mode settings on the Epson F2000, the lowest quality in our Rip software. The high Res prints that use more white ink are generally by request only.

Reactions: PhoenixGrafx

·
Registered
843 Posts
Buying from a knowledgeable dealer was paramount for my F2000 purchase. I could have gone to my local dealer but when I saw their sample prints I knew they had no idea what they were doing.

It was inconvenient to buy from a dealer that was 2500km away but I went with someone who had been selling DTG printers for years and had industry knowledge. The salesperson flew in to commission the printer and spent 2 days with me for training. This was all at no extra expense to me.

I was knocking out magnificent prints from the get-go because of the help I got buying from a knowledgeable dealer.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My dealer provided no samples. Epson themselves printed the samples for me. They even tried out new pretreatment that I brought back from shows in the US. My dealer gave me a day of training and was coming once a month to check up and see if I need anything. I contact Epson for service.

·
Registered
843 Posts
My dealer provided no samples. Epson themselves printed the samples for me. They even tried out new pretreatment that I brought back from shows in the US. My dealer gave me a day of training and was coming once a month to check up and see if I need anything. I contact Epson for service.
Epson direct? ...Well you're a local aren't you mate? :)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
My dealer was awesome. Sent a tech for the day at no charge to me too. Every phone call I have ever made was addressed. Sent me email notices to let me know when my printer would arrive. Found out that my Geo Knight press wouldn't arrive on time with my printer from the factory so they sent me a new one that they had in stock to make sure. Awesome customer service.

IMHO where you buy your Epson F2000 from DOES matter.

BTW - I bought mine from Harry at Equipment Zone (as if you all didn't know ;))

·
Registered
43 Posts
I got my F2000 from Equipment Zone. Harry & Terry are great! Very knowledgeable! I have been doing DTG for 9 years. When the F2000 first came out no one could answer my questions. So I bought another printer. After spending time with Harry & Terry in New Jersey the things they were able to teach me about the F2000, I traded in the printer I bought and purchased the F2000. Love it, love it, love it! Thanks Harry & Terry for giving me the knowledge to make a great decision.
Thanks Equipment Zone for your awesome customer service. !!!

·
Registered
602 Posts
I got my F2000 from Equipment Zone. Harry & Terry are great! Very knowledgeable! I have been doing DTG for 9 years. When the F2000 first came out no one could answer my questions. So I bought another printer. After spending time with Harry & Terry in New Jersey the things they were able to teach me about the F2000, I traded in the printer I bought and purchased the F2000. Love it, love it, love it! Thanks Harry & Terry for giving me the knowledge to make a great decision.
Thanks Equipment Zone for your awesome customer service. !!!
What printer did you trade in?

·
Registered
66 Posts
We purchased a used DTG a little over 2 years ago from Equipment Zone. During the purchase, Harry was great and answered questions fast. When we received our machine, we had problems from the beginning. Hawkeye was phenomenal and even when we had him stumped with the problems we were having, he persisted in attempting to fix them. Harry wouldn't get on the phone with us. Terry did his best, but it seems that the machine had not been refurbished. Finally we ended up spending the money and refurbishing it ourselves. Never had a problem since. Now we are in the market for a new machine, but are very leery of purchasing from Equipment Zone.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi Debbie, I am sorry to hear your problems with Equipment Zone. I have been dealing with Equipment Zone for approximately 6 years now and have never had a problem whatsoever. The great thing about the Epson F2000 all the service and support other than regular day to day questions (ie how to work something in the software, how to load a shirt, etc) is handled by Epson themselves. If you have a problem with the printer, you call Epson they have a technician to your location I believe in 24 hours. It is my understanding that Epson will not allow any technicians other than their own to work on the printer. My dealings with Equipment Zone for the purchase of the Epson was awesome. I also have the Speed Treater TX and have had no problems whatsoever. They have been great to me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi I am Joe from DigitalPrintAndSigns.com. I have bought an Epson F2000 from Equipment Zone about a year ago.They are the best people I have ever known and they gave the support and consultation on every step of the process. When I have an issue they would call back in a few minutes and stayed with me through out to resolve the issues. Harry is a very good man and he cares about his clients. When the top level to the bottom level every body has the same intention to provide the best support for their clients, they rock and I will recommend them to anybody with full confident. Recently I have purchased the RIP Software, Digital Factory from them and have the same experience as I mentioned, they are very helpful to set up the software and provide the preliminary support in the printing process, Thank you Harry, and everybody in the Equipment zone.:)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I purchased an Epson 2000 from Stahls a year ago (Had a trainer come from San Antonio closer dealer to me... figure Stahls one of the biggest companies close 250 miles... I am in south Texas by the border) Had 1 day of training including setting up the printer. Had several issues and the people at Stahls refered me to Epson direct which is great but it would take 2 days for a tech to respond... when you are in the middle of a job that's to long. About a mont6h ago I had started having problems first the drain hose came loose inside and ink was running out the bottom of the printer. Epson sent a tech out to repair fixed the leak and while he was here he replace the head and capping station...? About 2 weeks later I lost white channels 2 and 4. Epson sent another tech got 2and 3 up and printed about 10 shirts everything fine went to the ISS show in Dallas came back and cannels 3 and 4 were bad. Called Epson again sent a tech out agin replace virtually everything in the printer.. head, capping station, scale, ink cartridge stations. Got it up and running and he left. Tried printing that night and started getting streaks in the print called Epson direct and ended up adjusting the alignment a multitude of time finally having to set the platen height to 5 to eliminate the strikes obviously the print was blurry. Tech came back the next day. replace everything again spent 2 days trying to get the white channels to work gave up (note these were contract Epson techs not actually Epson employees) Told Epson they needed to replace the printer. By this time I had been out of service for 2 and half weeks. I was over 400 shirts behind .. customer were upset (I cant blame them) I place several calls to Stahls they said they would notify Epson. Finally out of desperation Icalled Harry at Equipment Zone. I had talked with him at the ISS show the only thing I ever bought from them was ink a couple of times when Stahls was out. Harry was unbelievably helpful Gave me the name and number of the head of customer support at Epson said if that didn't work call him back. Called the guy Harry recommended he talked to the contract tech who was still there and sent him home. Had a certified Epson tech (an Epson employee) fly down from Dallas arrived 2 days later. Finally replace everything again and got up and running that day. Harry called me back 3 times during this period to make sure I was being taken care of. My printer is now working for the last 2 weeks better than when it was new. Epson even sent replacement ink to help with all the ink I waisted. Harry called again said if I ever had a problem call him and he or one of his people would help resolve it. I still have not received a call back from Stahls... I am not sure what the final problem was as virtually everthing and been replaced several times (5 heads 4 capping stations etc in less than 30 days. I think the company is extremely import as to who you buy the machine from... If I cost this kind of support from Equipment Zone and wasn't even a customer that tells me they care about the industry. Epson stood behind their warranty.
I don't thin anyone else would have gone through that. I am deifintely an Equipment Zone customer now.
Rick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts