T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have an IR gun but it doesn't give an accurate reading since the plate is unpainted aluminum (I assume).

·
Registered
197 Posts
That shouldn't make any difference. These are non-contact infrared guns.
I would imagine only poplished aluminum would make any kind of difference..... but heat presses are not made with polished surface.
Change your battery and try your gun again. If it still doesn't work, buy a new gun.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
This page gives a little insight into why IR temp guns don't always work - http://www.geoknight.com/product.php?cat=accessories&pn=199.

Hix Corp sells the strips - HIX Corporation - Thermolabel

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting this again. I keep trying to keep track of it. I clicked on the link to Hix, trying to get a price, etc, but I don't see how to order it. Is it right there and I'm as blind as the bats living in my soffits? Thanks for the lead. I'd like to recommend these since folks don't always have luck with the IR guns.. lol. I haven't tried my Pampered Chef thermometer, yet, lol, but I would put it in the press with one of these to see how it does. :D

Thanks for any help on this. Is there someone who deals in Hix products that you would recommend I can go to, if not the site above?

Thanks,

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm about to read this, and there was a thread on IR guns but I seem to have lost it.

Basically, I've got a couple of questions:

1) If online guns are bad, what is the recommended method for taking tempetures?

2) Can I use a temp gun for both heat press platens AND flash curer units?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think the point is..... and it spells it out on the Geo Knight site.... you can not use an IR Temp gun on a "BARE" aluminum platen.

In all my 35 years in the business, I don't think I have ever come across a textile heat transfer machine without a teflon coating on the heat element.
So, unless you scrubbed the teflon coating off with sandpaper or a brillo pad, the IR Gun should be releatively accurate. Give or take a couple of degrees.

·
Registered
584 Posts
When taking measurements, are you aiming at the platen or the actual heating element? I'm sorry I'm a little new and confused on this. . . I'm just wondering if I buy a gun, will I be able to temp both my press and my flash unit

·
Registered
11 Posts
Stahls' has a test kit...4 heat strips in each corner and one in the center. You get 2 a kit I think and it's not too expensive.

·
Registered
197 Posts
When testing HEAT PRESS temp, aim the gun at the heating element itself. Check several areas, because the heat won't be perfectly even all over the heat platen.

Yes, you can use the same gun to measure your spot dryer..... but..... since a spot dryer is non-contact, you won't be maesuring the actual heat that is at the shirt level.
The temp gun, really isn't a useful tool for spopt dryers. They're really for measuring ink temperature at a conveyor dryer exit, or for testing dryer panels to make sure they're not burned out.

Temp tapes are a good way to measure heat press temp, however they are a one shot deal. They can't be re-used.

Another drawback of temp tapes is they take time in a conveyor dryer to register. If your dryer is too quick, they won't have time to turn black at the actual temperature. It's not "instant" like the gun.

Anyway, you need to check temperatures often, like every day or, with a conveyor dryer, several times a day. Just to make sure your equipment is operating at the temp you determine is optimal. And at almost $1.00 per label, it adds up quick.

·
Registered
584 Posts
so it sounds like a gun will get me pretty far, but I need something separate for the flash unit. Which method is recommended for gauging the temperatures on flash curers?

·
Registered
197 Posts
"flash" or "spot" dryers are for curing under-colors. If you're looking to cure plastisol inks..... it's not the best thing to use.

In my opinion..... IR guns are the best method to measure temperatures on spot/flash dryers. The same IR gun can measure the "ink surface" temperature, which you can not do with tapes.

Like I said, the temp guns will last for years.... temp tapes are a one-shot deal.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just make sure the temp range is 0-750 deg F.
A laser spot is a big help.

RayTek Mini-Temp is a very good gun. I have been using them for years.

They are great for other things too! I use mine to check temperatures of diesel engines in my boat when troubleshooting. Also checking flourescent light ballast's, they heat up before they burn-out.... etc.... tons of uses. They usually get "borrowed" from the shop and never returned..... gotta buy a couple per year!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I have been using this since I could not seem to find the strips anywhere.....

...got it off of Ebay a few months ago....works great so far...(tested it on boiling water and it was bang on!)

Atkins Digital Surface Thermometer / Pyrometer
EBAY Item # 290255801919

25.00 plus 9.99 shipping

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
yes that gun is the one lot of people get and us.

·
Registered
86 Posts
bump!

If you're trying to use one of these guns w/ a conveyor dryer, is it possible to shoot the gun inside the dryer itself, or do you just temp it as the shirt comes out and assume its cooled off a few degrees? My dryer seems to hit max temp about 12" before the shirt comes out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts