T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like some redundant measuring, so I think it would be nice to get some 'temp strips'

Forgive me... I don't know the proper terminology.... so I'm not locating much

I saw 'Thermopaper' but not sure that's what I'm looking for?

What do you recommend for:

Running through my conveyor
Sticking in my heat presses

I have a infrared therm, but would like another way to verify/measure temps, since they only measure the surface.

Any recommendations / pointers ? ?

Thank you

· Registered
25 Posts
Thermopaper is a non-adhesive temperature indicator. Most people use adhesive temperature indicators for dryers and heat presses. You can use the same product for both running through your dryer and sticking in your heat press but just in different temperature ranges if needed. You will find them for sale from some of the preferred vendors listed to the left or google "screen printing temperature indicators" or something similar.

· Registered
78 Posts
Thermopaper is a non-adhesive temperature indicator. Most people use adhesive temperature indicators for dryers and heat presses. You can use the same product for both running through your dryer and sticking in your heat press but just in different temperature ranges if needed. You will find them for sale from some of the preferred vendors listed to the left or google "screen printing temperature indicators" or something similar.
Hi Matt,
How do you use these test strips? Do you have to cover them with a teflon or parchment sheet before testing... to prevent any sticking or having any residue on the heating element or lower platen?

Thanks

· Registered
25 Posts
Hi John,
I have not heard of any need for covering with teflon but that would not be a bad idea if you see any adhesive residue after using a test strip. The test would be most accurate if you put the strip directly on a shirt instead the platen. You really want to know what temperature the surface the ink is applied to is reaching.

· Registered
78 Posts
Hi John,
I have not heard of any need for covering with teflon but that would not be a bad idea if you see any adhesive residue after using a test strip. The test would be most accurate if you put the strip directly on a shirt instead the platen. You really want to know what temperature the surface the ink is applied to is reaching.
Thanks Matt, applying test strips to the actual shirt makes sense... that answered my question. But when pressing I do use a Teflon sheet or parchment sheet.

Should the test strip be used during the "complete cycle" of the pressing time/temp recommended.. OR.. can you just use during the 6 sec cycle that I do to remove moisture from the tee before pressing at full pressing cycle?

Will the test strip leave any adhesive residue on the tee... if so how do you remove it ... and what do you use if this should happen?

Thanks

· Registered
25 Posts
You really want to try to mimic what you will actually be doing in production. So you want to press for a full cycle to bring that shirt up to the temperature it will actually reach when you are using your transfers. Definitely use the teflon sheet as well. You will get the most accurate results when you test the temperature under the same conditions as there will be when you are printing shirts.

I have not run into any adhesive left on shirts so I cannot help you with this, sorry.

· Registered
650 Posts
try performance screen supply. type in that name and their web site will come up and they do sell those test strips for checking temps. I don't know what page its on but scrowl down to almost the end I think and should be on the right side of the page. they say you can cut them down the middle length wise and get 2 for 1. don't recall off top of head but they carry them. they have a facility in nev so it might be a 2-3 day ship. give them a call. if you don't have an account they can set you up with one in a couple of min over phone like us and all you have to do is give phone # next time and info already to go give them item number and that's it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.