T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what you guys are netting as far as profit margin on subcontracting orders ranging in sizes, but mostly in larger orders.

Recently, I've been doing alot of subcontracting. To compensate for the difference in cost, I am adjusting my prices. Naturally, margins are lower than if I were directly printing myself. Some rough examples are below of what I'm getting based on qty.

500 and below size job 30% or more
750 piece job 25%
1000 piece job 17%
5000 piece job 16%

So around 750 pieces, my margins are at 25% or less and less than 20% on 1000 or more. This is low but I'm also not having to worry about labor, ink, chems, most other overhead that a normal shop would. At the same time, this model is showing me that my margins are too low for anything over 1000 pieces and that I might as well just stick with jobs at 500 or below simply because my margins are double.

What do you guys think? Just trying to get some insight.

· Registered
493 Posts
I only occasionally outsource, only when I have a job with more color than I am capable of printing.
Last job was 100 pcs. and the margin was 52%. We still did the artwork and proofs in house and I have people to pay so....
I’m not sure how these printers pay this bills with $150k in machines on the prices they charge.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.