T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm new to the forum. Anyway I want to start my own business and have lots of ideas for the line but I don't know where to start. Need assistance
Thanks in advance

·
2,957 Posts
PATRICELEE said:
Hi
I'm new to the forum. Anyway I want to start my own business and have lots of ideas for the line but I don't know where to start. Need assistance
Thanks in advance
Hello, and welcome!

Right here is a great place to start! For the low monthly price of $29.99, we can advise you of every move to make concerning your business! (okay...I'm just kidding:D . Rodney don't ban me!:eek: )

We need some more info. What kind of ideas do you have? What is your target market? What items are you thinking of selling?

The more info the better!;)

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Hi Patricelee, welcome to the T-Shirt Forums :)

The best way to start (other than joining here ;)) is to ask specific questions about what you want to know. You can also use our Search feature. You may find that a lot of your questions have already been answered by previous discussions in the forum:
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/search.php

Do you want to know about getting registered as a business in your state? Post a question about that.

Do you want to know what software to use to design your t-shirts? Post a question about that in our Graphics and Design category.

Have a question about copyright? Try some searches for copyright or trademark as a keyword and you'll probably find some good past discussions on the topic :)

We're here to help, just ask :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi

Thanks for the response.
I want to customize my own tees, I'm going 80's vintage so I need a washed up look. Also looking for soft comfy fabrics. I don't know if it would be more to just buy tees in stock or design my own.

·
2,957 Posts
PATRICELEE said:
Hi

Thanks for the response.
I want to customize my own tees, I'm going 80's vintage so I need a washed up look. Also looking for soft comfy fabrics. I don't know if it would be more to just buy tees in stock or design my own.
If you want to design your own tees then there are a few questions you still need to answer for yourself:

• You say you want soft comfy fabrics. So the question is where are you going to get your shirts from? I suggest getting some samples from some companies like American Apparel, Alternative Apparel and even Royal Apparel (others may have more suggestions). Normally the softer t-shirts will be a jersey material and under 5 ounces per sq. yd. Look for other brands that meet these criteria and you may find something that is suitable for you.
  • What method are you going to use to get your designs on your shirts? You need to decide what printing method meets your, or more importantly, your target markets needs. Is it screen printing? Heat pressed? Would you enjoy the process of pressing your own shirts? You also need to weigh the costs of various methods.
  • Before you get in too deep, you also need to decide on a business structure. I don’t know if you are in the US or not, but if you are, you can check out this site that has links to all of the states’ websites. You will find all of the info you need in order to start a business in your state: http://www.nass.org/sos/sosflags.html
  • How are you going to sell your shirts? Website? Sell to retailers? You need to figure out what is best for reaching your market.
There are lots of other questions you need to answer, of course, but this is a starting point!

If you need some clarification on anything, just ask! I can be more detailed on something if you need me to be!;)
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! you know your stuff.
I was thinking about designing the actual tee. Heat press is what I'm leaning toward but will be open to other alternatives. I've gone to AA, their shirts are ok but need some of my tees fitted near the waist just because that's the way I wear my tees. Definitely looking for cotton/spandex and needs to look vintage. Not sure how they treat those tees to look that way.

I have some graphics I want done and some are just sayings.

You are really informative..thank you

·
2,957 Posts
PATRICELEE said:
Wow! you know your stuff.
I was thinking about designing the actual tee. Heat press is what I'm leaning toward but will be open to other alternatives. I've gone to AA, their shirts are ok but need some of my tees fitted near the waist just because that's the way I wear my tees. Definitely looking for cotton/spandex and needs to look vintage. Not sure how they treat those tees to look that way.

I have some graphics I want done and some are just sayings.

You are really informative..thank you
I don't know too much, and what I do know is just enough for me to be dangerous!:D

I really don't know much about heat press. You will probably need to post in that forum to get some good info on it. If you want to heat press, there are certain costs that are involved with equipment and supplies.

Remember, what you are going for is what your target market likes. If you are your target market, that is fine, but what you like may not be what they like.;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I may be biased as I am in the print-on-demand business, but from personal experience I encourage people to really decide if the actual manufacturing of products is something you're interested in.

It sounds great to just go buy a heat press and start printing t-shirts, but it's really not as easy as it sounds. Before you know it, you'll be spending all your time figuring out the heat press, transfers, inks, etc. and left with little time to market your business, drum up customers, and create designs. Sometimes it makes more sense to leave the manufacturing to someone else, while you concentrate on all the other aspects of the business (marketing, hiring employees, creating designs, evaluating blank garments, taxes, accounting, sales tax, e-commerce, credit cards, etc.)

Before you jump in, make sure you have given it a lot of thought! Running a business is not as easy as it may appear, and you may be more successful if you concentrate your efforts to one area!

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In your profession opinion are you saying screen printing is better and more economical for starters? I don't know much about either of the print techniques that's why I'm on this forum to learn and get other people's opinions that would help me to make good decisions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts