T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in an apartment. I want to start printing t-shirts. I tried to run my business out of the apartment but it didn't go well. The space is just to small. I'm looking for ideas/suggestions on where I can print my shirts. I don't have the money to lease a warehouse. I just moved to a new city so I don't have friends or family members with a basement or room I can rent out. Any other creative ways to acquire a space for printing? I would probably need 500 square feet, running water and the right electrical hook up to run a conveyor dryer.

Any ideas would help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Have you tried searching or even placing sublet or shared space ads in places like craigslist and nextdoor.com?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
I live in an apartment. I want to start printing t-shirts. I tried to run my business out of the apartment but it didn't go well. The space is just to small. I'm looking for ideas/suggestions on where I can print my shirts. I don't have the money to lease a warehouse. I just moved to a new city so I don't have friends or family members with a basement or room I can rent out. Any other creative ways to acquire a space for printing? I would probably need 500 square feet, running water and the right electrical hook up to run a conveyor dryer.
I started printing form my living room in 2008 while studying at the university.
I simply rented a 3 bedroom house for £500 per month.
The house was not the in best area, but it was close enough to the university and it was cheap.
It also had a small utility room at the back which was perfect for washing screens.
Powering up the conveyor dryer was not an issue as UK homes have 240v 32A in every room.
In the US you may have to put it in the kitchen, or right next to the breaker panel for easy 220v wiring.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you tried searching or even placing sublet or shared space ads in places like craigslist and nextdoor.com?
I started printing form my living room in 2008 while studying at the university.
I simply rented a 3 bedroom house for £500 per month.
The house was not the in best area, but it was close enough to the university and it was cheap.
It also had a small utility room at the back which was perfect for washing screens.
Powering up the conveyor dryer was not an issue as UK homes have 240v 32A in every room.
In the US you may have to put it in the kitchen, or right next to the breaker panel for easy 220v wiring.
This is good advice.
Thank you.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Tabob, just curious what you studied at the university (or "in college" as we say it)? I want to guess some type of engineering. You have a pretty solid technical grasp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
It may be worth checking to see if there are any artist spaces or collectives in your town. Cheap rental spaces can be found through those communities usually, or there may be a building with low rent through the arts community.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is good advice.
Thank you.
I was going to suggest something along this line as well. If it's possible to afford a 2-bedroom apartment use the second bedroom for your workspace. I live in a renovated denim mill that also has commercial space. I rent a studio space for my business; about the size of a bedroom. I teach Cricut and beginner sublimation classes so I needed a separate space for that part of my business otherwise I'd do the 2 BR thing too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It may be worth checking to see if there are any artist spaces or collectives in your town. Cheap rental spaces can be found through those communities usually, or there may be a building with low rent through the arts community.
Yeah, I thought I might find something going this route, but I didn't find anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts