T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys this is my 1st question in a field I know next to nothing about. Im hoping someone here has a clue so here goes...

Is there a particular website Im supposed to go to register just the name of a mobile phone app?

Im thinking it would be done in much the same way one would register a domain name but Ive not got a clue.

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
Re: Registration

It would be registered with whatever mobile phone marketplace you're submitting the app to.

You actually have to have the app built to register the name with that marketplace.

So if you were making an iPhone app, you would have to join the iOS Developer program and follow their steps to submit a new app to the App Store: iOS Developer Program - Apple Developer

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh sorry, I meant like company name. For instance, if there was no Nike company, some random guy could make an app and call it Nike.... What then happens if a new company called Nike came along and wanted to make an app called Nike. Who would then have the biggest stake in that name.

Basically my company is young but when it comes time to making an app I want to be able to use the name of my company for the app. I fear I won't be able to if someone else uses the name before me

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh sorry, I meant like company name. For instance, if there was no Nike company, some random guy could make an app and call it Nike.... What then happens if a new company called Nike came along and wanted to make an app called Nike. Who would then have the biggest stake in that name.

Basically my company is young but when it comes time to making an app I want to be able to use the name of my company for the app. I fear I won't be able to if someone else uses the name before me

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts
What then happens if a new company called Nike came along and wanted to make an app called Nike. Who would then have the biggest stake in that name.
Probably whoever owned the federally registered trademark.

I fear I won't be able to if someone else uses the name before me
That's possible. If it's a generic name like "Calculator", there may already be several apps with that name.

But the more unique the name, the better the chances there won't be any issues with overlap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.