T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to track down as many sources of performance/wicking shirts as I can. Please help me in my search!

I am pretty much only interested in materials and cuts that will do well for runners. 100% poly is a must, as is some sort of active wicking technology. Should be suitable for dye-subbing.

Price isn't a huge factor as my target audience is used to paying $20-$40 retail for a good quality shirt.

I only know of 4 sources so far:

Vapor Performance Series - I have gotten samples and am trying them out. Once issue I have is that their cuts (except the singlet) are very generous around the midsection. I hope to get some runs in and see if the material is any good. Very good selection of styles!

Wicked - I am in the process of getting samples.

Zorrel - I have a shirt I bought at a race and I LOVE it. I am in contact with them to figure out what model it is so I can get some samples.

Anvil - Dri Release 85-15. Marginal wicking capability. It's much better than plain cotton or even 50-50 but once it's wet it stays wet for a while. Not good for post runs when it's cold out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Re: Performance/Wicking Shirts

Jose,

Did you find any others? Does anyone carry a Vapor sample pack that has a variety of styles in it (rather than all back country etc).

How did your tests work out?

Thanks!

Diane

·
Registered
191 Posts

Thanks! I was hoping for someone on the east coast, but it looks like they have a large selection and you can buy singles rather than 6's.

I don't have a dye sub setup yet. I have been doing thermoflex and Magic Mix (mostly thermoflex) for a few years.

My last few orders have been of a design or quantity that I've been using Ace Transfer. My first Silver Mountain order should be in today.

As a biker and runner, I'm very interested in the market for these shirts. They look great.

Thanks again for the tip and welcome. :)

Diane

·
Premium Member
27,689 Posts

Thanks! I was hoping for someone on the east coast, but it looks like they have a large selection and you can buy singles rather than 6's.
There might be other sellers closer to you, but like you said, that's one I found with low minimums.

You can try the vaporapparel.com site and contact them to see if they have a distributor nearer to you.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Sorry Diane, I missed your post. I have tested out both the Zorrel and Vapor performance lines and just posted my impressions in another thread:

I ordered 2 sample packs. Once had all performance and the other was a mix. I think I got them from the thepaperranch.com

(7th post down)
http://www.t-shirtforums.com/showthread.php?t=6245

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

bestblanks has them as should every distributor:

http://www.sourcesubstrates.com/sub_pages/purchase.htm

Start making calls. The model/part # for the sample packs are the same for everyone.

Take a look at raceready.com I saw their stuff at a marathon expo and it looks pretty good. I'll be getting some samples soon.

Looks like we're in the same niche! Brace yourself, I'll be hitting you up for info on transfers soon. First I have to master sublimation!

·
Registered
9,722 Posts

Pay attention to price. I noticed the same product varies in price by $1-$3 or more each piece for different vendors.

·
Registered
191 Posts

raffuj said:
Vapor Performance Series - I have gotten samples and am trying them out. Once issue I have is that their cuts (except the singlet) are very generous around the midsection. I hope to get some runs in and see if the material is any good. Very good selection of styles!

Anvil - Dri Release 85-15. Marginal wicking capability. It's much better than plain cotton or even 50-50 but once it's wet it stays wet for a while. Not good for post runs when it's cold out.
I wish I had remembered this post when I ordered my Vapor samples. I made my own sample pack as I wanted sizes I could try and could give friends.

First off, Vapor, if you're reading, come up with a catalog! Not all of your shirts on on your website. And trying to find them on different distributor sites are next to impossible.

I ended up getting the high tech long sleeve shirts when I really wanted the Basic ones, just because the distributor site was just as confusing as Vapor's. :(

Anyway - first impressions....... I was told by the salesperson that the woman's shirts tended to run a bit small. I am thinking Bella/Amer App small. Since all they had in the tanks were L & XL I passed. I did get a micro-perf lady t in my size that seems to fit right. This is in white. It's very sheer but feels nice.

As stated I bought some micro-perf long sleeve t's. These are HUGE! I bought them specifically for certain people to test and the sizing is way off. Do they make an XS in this product? If not they certainly need to. I used one on a run today and it seems fine - but 2 sizes too big!

I have not tested any of the back country's yet.

I also got a sample of each sweatshirt and love them! They are not as heavy as a Hanes/etc 10 oz sweat but they are heavier than I had expected and very comfortable. Was told I couldn't test one on the run this morning as it was about 37 degrees. LOL Should be able to give it a go soon.

They say they are revamping the ladies line in the spring - can't wait.

I have not decorated any of them yet.

Oh - I do have a couple of Anvils from a local event and agree about the drying (or lack thereof). Great shirts for undershirts at work though, or if it's not too cold.

Diane

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Diane -

I found that the sleeves are way too long as well. Give the Zorrels a shot. They have a long sleeve performance Dri-Fit that is very comfortable and has a better sleeve to torso ratio. I've had a hard time taking off my 'sample' after I printed it. I like it a lot!

It's the Z800 and is not on their web site. Same material as the Z500.

Do you have any experience with reflective ink transfers? I was playing with some vinyl last night and I liked the possibilities but it was a bit of a pain to work with. There's a thread for the inks here

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Sport Science

I got my samples from sport science yesterday and I'm sad to report that I'm a little disappointed. The fabric is soft and very comfy feeling - I like it. For my needs I don't think it's going to work - too much cotton and the cuts aren't quite right. None of the ones I bought fit well (not just on me). The torso is too big around with normal sleeves and shoulders. Definitely not the fit I'm looking for. I'm wondering who their target audience is. Fat athletic people?

If you're looking for very soft cotton/poly blend shirts, you may like these. They're pricey.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RaceReady

Got my samples (fabric only) from them the other day. Sublimation looks ok although it suffers from the same problem as the Zorrel Syntrel fabric -- noticeable shine and compression of fabric fibers under direct heat -- although not as sensitive. It does retain its stretch properties well after pressing.

They have 2 weights of coolmax fabric. Aries is the lighter weight and Alta the heavier. They also have a thermal fabric that I did not try. Fit should be true to size as they cater to athletes. I'm awaiting plastisol transfers for further testing.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: RaceReady

Tried flex transfers from ACE and they look great. 325 might be a touch too hot still. I used a foam pad and saw very little (if any) sheen. The holes in the fabric will be a problem for fine lines. A little adhesive should solve that.

I'm cautiously optimistic that I might have a winner here!

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

Thanks for that link. I've been looking for that supplier. They are hard to find.

They have a pretty nice website, but unfortunately there is no contact information whatsoever anywhere on their site. There's a place to login, but no place to register a new account.... no phone #.... no email... nothing. Very strange how some companies operate. It's like they want to remain a secret or something. I don't get it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.