T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am still new to printing shirts, and I am curious when a white underbase should be printed on the shirts... I know some inks need to pop more on darker garments with a white underbase, but how would I know what inks I can use to get away without using an underbase? let me know! Thanks..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi, i am still new to printing shirts, and I am curious when a white underbase should be printed on the shirts... I know some inks need to pop more on darker garments with a white underbase, but how would I know what inks I can use to get away without using an underbase? let me know! Thanks..
most bright colors will need an underbase to remain bright... yellow, gold ,green ,light blues, reds ...just imagine that if you do not have a white underbase that you are in effect "adding" the color of the shirt to your ink....so if your printing yellow on a navy shirt with no backer the ink will shift to the dark blue direction giving a greener cast to the color and "dulling" it ....
much of it depends on your inks pigment load (super opaque inks are better on darks) , type of fabric (50/50? high poly content? usually need underbasing) mesh counts/image detail, customer preference/budget....
the only inks I "almost never" underbase are dark inks ie. black,navy,forest etc. or specialty inks like metallics or puffs....
trial and error, live and learn, good luck and have fun

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay thanks! In regards to lighter colors like a yellow or bright red, i always thought you would maybe just pass through a little more ink so that it can pop.. but i guess trial and error is the best way to do things!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts