T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(using plastisol ink)
I have been printing 1 color prints on dark shirts, and I print with off contact for those prints. I am a little confused as to when not to use off contact?

If I where printing a light shirt with black, or dark ink would I print with on contact?
If I print a underbase. Would the rest of the colors be on contact?

I guess what I would like to know is when should you print with on contact?

Thank you for any replies!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Always Always Always use off contact!! When the screen is in the "down ready to print" position, the screen should be roughly a width of a quarter above the shirt on all 4 corners of the platen. Sometimes there are exceptions to the rule.. example: If the image area is big and there is a lot of ink going through the screen, you may want to raise the off contact just a hair more just so the ink clears the screen from the squeege pass alone if that makes sense. Also keep in mind, the higher the off contact, the tougher it is to keep the job in registration

·
Registered
175 Posts
when process (CMYK) printing you don't want off cantact (or very very little).

I am going to have to respectfully disagree with you on this.. The number one enemy to cmyk printing (assuming the seps were done correctly) is dot gain!! One of the number one causes of dot gain besides the obvious (too much squeege pressure) is incorrect off contact. With no off contact, there is no where for the ink to go but through the screen and then spread out on the shirt. 22 years of hands on printing has taught me this..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts