T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when is the next tradeshow any show-SGIA, ISS and which one do you recommend going to?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
If you visit the websites for both of those shows, you'll see the dates for the upcoming shows.

SGIA - Specialty Graphic Imaging Association

Imprinted Sportwear Shows

SGIA is October 15th in Atlanta and ISS is October 3rd in Ft Worth, TX.

I've only been to the ISS shows, and so far, they have been great shows.

I've also heard that the SGIA show is supposed to be pretty big this year.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
It really depends on what you are going to a trade show for. What type of work do you plan to do (screen printing, embroidery, dtg, digital transfers, signs, offset printing, laser engraving,....)? I ask these questions because it will provide the forum members a better understanding of what your needs are and which show to recommend.

Traditionally speaking, SGIA is a huge equipment show. Most of the equipment at SGIA is geared toward large format sign and banner printing. The SGIA show can be pretty intimidating for someone's first show and might not have as much on the decorated apparel side as a new person would like. If you are going to be primarily focused on decorating apparel, then I would recommend you going to the ISS Show or NBM / Printwear Show. These two shows tend to have more apparel companies that you can talk to and see the new apparel styles. It is my opinion (working trade shows for the last 6 years) that the best decorated apparel trade show every year is the ISS Show in Long Beach every January. It has the most exhibitors that focused on decorating apparel. The NBM / Printwear shows are also good if you are looking to cross-over between the decorated apparel industry and signs / banner or awards / recongition industries.

Hope this gives you a good starting point for you to make your decision. Definitely check out the exhibitor lists of whichever show you are considering. Best wishes.

Mark

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It really depends on what you are going to a trade show for. What type of work do you plan to do (screen printing, embroidery, dtg, digital transfers, signs, offset printing, laser engraving,....)? I ask these questions because it will provide the forum members a better understanding of what your needs are and which show to recommend.

WOW, Thanks for the input. I currently do embroidery and Vinyl Imprinted apparel, however I am looking into go with a dtg printer and of course I would like to see it upfront before I buy (big investment). I'm from Iowa and i'm pretty sure I will have to fly to which ever show I go to.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
WOW, Thanks for the input. I currently do embroidery and Vinyl Imprinted apparel, however I am looking into go with a dtg printer and of course I would like to see it upfront before I buy (big investment). I'm from Iowa and i'm pretty sure I will have to fly to which ever show I go to.
Well if you are only focused on dtg printers, than SGIA could be a good option. Most of the dtg printers should be at this show... in fact there are rumors of new printers coming out there as well. Some might be from overseas manufacturers and you might want to look at what their distribution / support systems are to work with someone in a different time zone or country. If you are not really wanting to make a purchasing decision for a couple of months, then I would say wait and go to the Long Beach ISS Show. This would allow you to see all the new apparel styles (which get release at that show), the dtg printers and even embroidery accessories / supplies. Just my opinion. Good luck with your research.

Mark

·
Registered
2 Posts

Traditionally speaking, SGIA is a huge equipment show. Most of the equipment at SGIA is geared toward large format sign and banner printing. The SGIA show can be pretty intimidating for someone's first show and might not have as much on the decorated apparel side as a new person would like. If you are going to be primarily focused on decorating apparel, then I would recommend you going to the ISS Show or NBM / Printwear Show. These two shows tend to have more apparel companies that you can talk to and see the new apparel styles. It is my opinion (working trade shows for the last 6 years) that the best decorated apparel trade show every year is the ISS Show in Long Beach every January. It has the most exhibitors that focused on decorating apparel. The NBM / Printwear shows are also good if you are looking to cross-over between the decorated apparel industry and signs / banner or awards / recongition industries.

Hope this gives you a good starting point for you to make your decision. Definitely check out the exhibitor lists of whichever show you are considering. Best wishes.

Mark
This is not actually correct. While it is true that the SGIA show is the place to go if you want to see graphic and large format equipment in action and up close, you will also see the full line of manual textile in action (Workhorse, Brown, Hopkins etc.) as well as M&R, Tas, AWT, MHM and all of the rest....printing live with automatics.

Every major ink, emulsion and chemical manufacturers will be there and all of the major garment manufacturers are there with their new lines.
You will see just as much manual and small format garment printing as you will automatic printing.
The graphic screen equipment that is there and actually running is actually a small fraction of what is running in textile.

The show may look intimidating to a garment printer at first blush because (a) This show does include all of the small, medium and Grand format digital graphic printers printing live as well as all of the major and minor DTG's running live.

All of the mesh companies and all frame manufacturers are there as well.

The difference in this show and others is that the booths here from all of the same manufacturers that go to ISS are much larger. There is also a lot more live printing than you see at ISS shows because there is a lot more room for equipment and dryers.

The seminars are larger with a lot more demonstration printing as well.

If you want to not just visit with almost every manufacturer in the industry (which you can also do at ISS)....but see virtually their ENTIRE line of products in action to compare.....all at one time......this is the show to go to.

Its just a much larger show and companies from every corner of the indusry will be exhibiting. Ray

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Ray,

I agree especially on the screen printing side of the business, SGIA is a better show to go to. My statements above were meant to show that if Kimsie wants to go to a show where (s)he can see both equipment and apparel, then the ISS / NBM Shows are best. If the only thing that is at focus is dtg equipment...which was listed as the primary purpose in the reply post above - not screen printing... then either SGIA or ISS Long Beach would be a good decision. My only reason for stating ISS Long Beach would be my preference if the decision making process can wait that long is that (s)he can see all the dtg equipment and see the new apparel fashions. Thus, getting more out of a plane ticket that would have to be purchased for either show. Hope this clarifies my previous post.

Mark

P.S. I have nothing against the SGIA Show as I will be there as well. But if you look over the last 5 or so years, the amount of textile decorating has declined as digital printing on all types of hard and soft substrates has become more popular. The name of SGIA even changed from Screenprinting Graphics Imaging Association to Specialty Graphics Imaging Association. I know most of the screen printing equipment and supplies manufacturers and they will even tell you that the % of attendees on the textile screen printing side of the business has declined. However, this still does not mean that the SGIA is not going to be a great, successful show.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey no problems! just wanted to make sure that no one got the idea that there isn't anything for you at the SGIA show if you are a smaller business (screen or digital).

For DTG the Long Beach show is about as good with respect that most if not all of the DTG's companies are represented with equipment running and on display.

But, If you are looking for whats "brand spankin new"....it usually debuts at SGIA in the fall...has the second showing at Long Beach. Most manufacturers seem to work through the spring after ISS Atlantic city perfecting whats going to debut at the larger shows in the fall.

If you can't wait until January, SGIA show is the next one up.

I understand that sometimes you have a purchase window and have to get info now.
Its also difficult if you are on the "left coast" or the "right coast".....and travel costs kill you.
I end up usually at ISS LB, Atlant. city, ISA and SGIA (among others). Interesting comparisons between the shows.
Your input is appreciated! Thank You! Ray

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Hi Ray, I couldn't tell from the sgia website, how much is it to just walk the exhibit hall and check out the different manufacturers at SGIA.

If I'm understanding correctly, no blank apparel companies usually exhibit at sgia?

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
If I'm understanding correctly, no blank apparel companies usually exhibit at sgia?
Rodney, I have been to 5 of the last 6 SGIA Shows and I would be shock if there has been more than 20 companies that do apparel at all of these shows combined. This is really an equipment / supplies show. That is why I recommend the ISS Long Beach Show. You Cali people are spoiled when it comes to the decorated apparel industry. I have not checked the exhibitor directory for SGIA this year, but I doubt you will see the regular apparel exhibitors that you would see at the ISS and NBM Shows. It is just not really their market.

Mark

1 - 14 of 14 Posts