T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using SDx3 with Corel X3 and i am copying and pasting artwork into cutstudio (Cutting with Roland 24) because somehow my cut button is missing. Any way, when i send the artwork to the cutter, It is wasting about 6 inches of vinyl. I am using 5 yd roll by 19 inches wide. Also when i run a test, then i try to recut, it keeps sending the machine back to the same spot. if i move the cutter head over manually it will move, but lets say i try to cut a new design, then it will go right back to the same starting point.

I really need suggestions on positioning a design to

1. waste less material
2. do mutiple cuts without returning to the start point
3.Mutiple cuts of the same desing while maximizing my material.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Unfortunately I do not think there is a way around the extra vinyl that is waste. My SP300 does the same thing, although the SP300 has a heater to help cure the inks, which is probably why the extra slack is necessary on mine. After it considers the job "done", it sets that as its new home position, so even if you move the vinyl back in, it'll move it back out, unless you turn the machine off.

Optimizing how many designs will go on the piece of vinyl I always take care of software side. When gang'ing designs, I always create a box slightly less than the size of material by however long I'm planning to use. I use 30" wide material, I usually only get about 28" usable, usually keep my designs within 27.5" though. Once I have my box, I figure out how many would fit in the box and the proper orientation. You can use Edit, Step and Repeat to quickly fill it up, I actually use my own macro form to duplicate which I made a long time ago. For strange shapes like Stars, I plan accordingly. For stars I usually make one line with the top pointing up, then copy the line and rotate 180, the star points down, and I wedge it between the other line. See my attachment, which explains it better than I can.

Attachments

·
Registered
365 Posts
Small areas of waste like that are good for printing up things like url or no tag labels. Maybe your logo. I try to make use of most of my scraps even if I don't really have a need for the stuff right now. Might start a trend of putting your logo on the tail or side of the shirt. Little extras like that are good advertising and give your shirt a more professional label look.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Oh yeah, didn't think if you were using heat transfer vinyl. Sign vinyl is a lot less expensive (think like 10 times less expensive, like 20 cents a square ft), if you're planning on doing both often, you may want to get the experience of how to get things cut with the sign vinyl than with heat transfer.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Optimizing how many designs will go on the piece of vinyl I always take care of software side. When gang'ing designs, I always create a box slightly less than the size of material by however long I'm planning to use. I use 30" wide material, I usually only get about 28" usable, usually keep my designs within 27.5" though. Once I have my box, I figure out how many would fit in the box and the proper orientation. You can use Edit, Step and Repeat to quickly fill it up, I actually use my own macro form to duplicate which I made a long time ago. For strange shapes like Stars, I plan accordingly. For stars I usually make one line with the top pointing up, then copy the line and rotate 180, the star points down, and I wedge it between the other line. See my attachment, which explains it better than I can.

Ok, I see. Never thought of that. I will give it a shot. But im doing saying's that are kind of big, so i cant put but soo much in a a particular space. Thats why i was really hoping there was a way to save those few inches of vinyl. Oh yeah, I am am using heat press vinyl.

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Small areas of waste like that are good for printing up things like url or no tag labels. Maybe your logo. I try to make use of most of my scraps even if I don't really have a need for the stuff right now. Might start a trend of putting your logo on the tail or side of the shirt. Little extras like that are good advertising and give your shirt a more professional label look.
I will definately use my logo on the scraps! Thanks!:)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Text can be a little bit hard to be creative with. Since the cost of the vinyl's so high, here's something you may try to do as either a front/back, or as two separate shirts from the same piece of vinyl:
Draw your text
Apply an outer contour
Use one part of the contour for the front, the other for the back, or use them on separate shirts.
Picture attached

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
I am using SDx3 with Corel X3 and i am copying and pasting artwork into cutstudio (Cutting with Roland 24) because somehow my cut button is missing. Any way, when i send the artwork to the cutter, It is wasting about 6 inches of vinyl. I am using 5 yd roll by 19 inches wide. Also when i run a test, then i try to recut, it keeps sending the machine back to the same spot. if i move the cutter head over manually it will move, but lets say i try to cut a new design, then it will go right back to the same starting point.

I really need suggestions on positioning a design to

1. waste less material
2. do mutiple cuts without returning to the start point
3.Mutiple cuts of the same desing while maximizing my material.
I'm in agreement with Lost1 that it appears you will need to set your origin point for your carriage head to stay wherever you re-position it.

More info on doing this can also be found in the Roland GX-24 user's manual, page 45.

AB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts