T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any of y'all get an email like this recently?

This wasn't just sent to my email address via Spam or whatever. My email address isn't on my website. It was sent through the email form on my contact page. Very strange. Prank? Here's the copy:

We are looking for a big manufacturer of T shirts who will be able to manufacture a very big quantity.
The need of this T shirts is to be used in the campaign against aids spread in the West/Sub sahara Africa.
Due to the rapide spread of aids and other veneral diseases in Africa coupled with the poor ignorant Africans who do not believe that aids really exist.
Some African country leaders including other international bodies has seen the need for campaigns in both the radios,televisions and even in the primary/secondary schools in all villages to alert people of the consequences of aids to both ourselves & our economy.
After the last aids submit held in south Africa recently,there arose the need to print aids slogans on T.Shirts and share same to the tropical areas of Africa and has been decided by the West Africa leaders of which some international communities has been able to send both their financial and moral surports to this idea.
Since this is a big project,it is being handled by a non governmental organization who has asked us to look for a suitable producer who will be able to execute this contract which value is estimated high and this is a year contract period. The total T.Shirts needed is 2.500.000 Pcs .
I would first of all like to know from you if you will be capable of handling a business of such volume .The gsm is 140 Poly/cotton 50/50,colours are plain white & blue Infact,i would like to use you as our sourcing agent overseras so that you may be sourcing for any needed products from your country or overseas.
I would like to get your response as soon as possible so as to allow me discuss with the organization who will contact you to confirm.
I will send you the graphics as soon as I get positive response from you.

So ... whatcha think?

Pam

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
A carrot has been dangled in front of you. I suspect a rotten carrot. I would not bite. The fund raisers who really exist have places where they buy their shirts, believe me. By the way have you been contacted by prince from a foreign country who has millions to give you if you would just help him. Of course in order for him to trust you he has to have your financial records.. DAAAAA

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: What's up with this?

"It's a Scam"

Well, I figured that. My first instinct was to delete it, which I did. But then thought I'd let you guys take a gander at it too.
Any idea how this works? Just curious.
Have you gotten one of these?

"By the way have you been contacted by prince from a foreign country who has millions to give you if you would just help him. Of course in order for him to trust you he has to have your financial records.."

Of course I have, as has most everyone else. But those emails don't come through my web form, and they DO ask me for my financial information. This one isnt' that obvious.

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
Scam and Spam

I get at least a dozen of those emails daily.

They have even stepped it up a bit on the scam scale by using the TDD (phone service for the death), to try to add legitimacy for their scam. Now I get phone calls from them. All they have to do is type their email and the TDD operator reads it.

Any idea how this works? Just curious.
Just your basic credit card/bad money scam. You send merchandise, you don't get paid.

They just appear to be targeting the t-shirt industry (because it must have worked a few times).

All they do is do searches for t-shirt keywords and use whatever method you have to contact you. You don't have email listed on your site, so they just copy and pasted the email into your contact form.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank Rodney. It's so unbelievable to me sometimes how low some folks will go for a dollar. Pitiful.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I was just called from one of my suppliers (Big) who read the info here and they wanted me to tell you all that they fell for it and it cost them. Not a lot but it still cost them. The lesson here.. If your hungry for sales they will find out. a lot of you express desires to sell shirts and want to know who to contact.. They read this stuff folks.. Sure I will sell to you meet me on the street and bring a suitcase full of cash.. Oh and who are these big guys with me? Oh here in America we call them the Oakland Raiders...

·
Premium Member
27,698 Posts
I was just called from one of my suppliers (Big) who read the info here and they wanted me to tell you all that they fell for it and it cost them.
Yep, I've read email broadcasts from a couple of distributors (I think sanmar sent one) warning their customers about it. It was about a year or so ago...they must have had a rush of cases.

·
Registered
303 Posts
A lot of people dont have the same living standards you got in the western world. Kinda means they'll do anything to make money, or it could be a criminal syndicate looking to make a profit. Either way it fuels our cynicism and actual desire to help others. Sucks really...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts