T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1-I will like to know an estimated cost of starting a custom design apparel printing company. Starting out small just with heat printing.
2-What exactly i will need supplies, equipment, etc.?

·
Registered
58 Posts
hey so you will need a heat press, printer possibly two printers if u plan to do sublimation as well as inkjet transfers, a computer, a digital cutter to cut out your designs so u dont have to do them by hand. the machinery doesnt seem to be too expensive i think its the stock an ddeciding how much to buy at first to set your stock levels thats the most costly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Are you planning on cutting and sewing your garments or simply customize pre assembled units?
This will make a big difference. Also, what kind of output (in terms of units x day, week, month) do you estimate? The size of your garments is also something to keep in mind since you will need equipment big enough to handle the largest fabric panel you plan to use.

If you plan on cutting and sewing your stuff in addition to the printer, press, computer and graphic design software you will also need something to make your patterns: in this case Illustrator would be a better software than photoshop. You will also need something to print your patterns so you can pre-cut your fabric and reduce waste.

You also need to pay attention to the ink you use as some colorants are not good for you and can be harmfull if absorbed through the skin, so look for ink suppliers that are geared towards fabric printing such as Sensient, BASF, etc...

If you can share a bit more of your plans with us I will be happy to be more specific with euipment suggestions...

Milabix

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on buying wholesale
The estimated units a week will be 200
We be be handling some large sizes such as 3x

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'll give you a breakdown of what I bought when I first started(not to long ago).

t-shirt maker digital pro package(upgrade) from specialty-graphics. The one I picked came with roland gx-24, 16x20 hotrinix heat press, 20(yes) rolls of vinyl,teflon sheets, tweezers and some other stuff. I talked with them for a while and got it for about $3200. I bought a epson 1400 for 300 bucks, but you can get them for 199 on sale at the epson store if you hurry(good deal)! I went with refillable carts as opposed the C.I.S system. I felt more comfortable usings carts, but I plan to get a C.I.S. it the future. The carts only set me back about 40 bucks. I bought my transfer paper from coastal:jpss 11x17 for $90, jpss 8.5x11 for $45, and Injet Opaque 11x17 for $90. I also purchased some dazzle trans, which give your design a gloss finish instead of the "matte look". Depending on what your printing, this works great! I also bought a photo scanner(cannon) which is very useful when customers want pictures on their shirts. This cost me $109 at best buy, it was on sale! I bought some shirts a local wholesaler here in KY. Your t-shirt price will vary depening on what crowd your selling to. Promotional t-shirts are cheaper than fashion t-shirts or at least they should be! That's just about what I started with and now some of the prices have gone down. I read in a thread that what ever total you come up with you should add another 2 to 3 thousand for other unseen or incidental costs. I hope this helps!!!

I forgot to mention the ink I bought from Coastal! I use pigment ink, but I think it's called everlast ink now. That was about 175 for set of 6.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I think you could set a budget of $ 2000 dollars and buy aheat press,inexpensive vinyl cutter,HT paper,printer and bulk system. You could add inventory as needed. ... JB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts