T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
1. Screen printing is better but if you do not want to go that route and buy expensive equipment
2.The heat transfers are great and offer more options.
One option is you can do color pictures and not worry about colors.
3.Screen printers also charge by the color.heat pressers don't care how many colors.
4. Heat pressers normally work in 8 x 10 mode which limits the size screen printers can go large.
5. Heat pressers can print larger prints if they have
A. Large format printer
B.They buy custom or large format plastisol transfers.
6.Screen printer charge a bundle for small quantities.
7. Heat pressers can do small quantities and charge lower prices.
8. Screen printer can print on dark color cloth while heat pressers can print on white or light color and have to use opaque transfers for dark which suck sometimes. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
The screen printed product will look great down the road and after a lot of washes. The heat transfers will fade and get washed out eventually. I use heat transfer as promotional tees. Or personalized tees. I will use plastisol transfers for my school and business tees and products. it depends on the job.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
In general I'd agree with the above, and also add that screenprinting can also give you a few "fancy" options if you're inclined to use them (raised ink, glow in the dark ink, foil effects, etc.). Not necessarily relevant though, as personally I think a lot of these options are overrated. Some of these can be achieved with heat press vinyl as well (pretty sure you can get glow in the dark vinyl for example).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
THX GUYS!! well appreciated....with a heat press, are there products out there that u can produce similar detail imagery as silk screen?..... is there any products to preserve the image from being washed out to fast?...are there any specialty inks that produce stunnning effects that u can use without heat or screening? ..what exactly is plastisol?...any help would be great...

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
Using higher quality products will make the prints last long with heat transfer (as they will for screen printing too, I'm sure). Using specialty pigmented inks (such as Magic Mix) and good quality transfer paper (MiraCool/IronAll OR Transjet II/Magic Jet) will go a long way to making a product that lasts.

Plastisol transfers are basically where another company screen prints a design on to a paper for you, which you can then transfer to a shirt with a heat press. You gain most of the quality of screen printing this way (and the ability to print on to dark shirts), and you can also partially print on demand this way (you don't need to guess sizes people are using ahead of time). You still need a minimum order (usually 12+) with plastisol though, just like screen printing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts