T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stika 12, I just been using it for decals and small projects. I see others cutting "vinyl" for t-shirts?? Is this a special vinyl?

What else can this little thing do?

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Hi. Garment vinyl has an adhesive backing that is activated by the high temperatures within a heat press. The adhesive has to activate at a much higher temperature than encountered in a conventional washing machine, to prevent the design from literally falling off in the wash.

You can also use your vinyl cutter for vehicle graphics and small signage.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I have a stika 15, and I don't think there is much else than what has been mentioned. You can only cut the t-shirt vinyl, not anything like flock and twill. You can also contour cut regular transfers.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Make some money with it.

Cut out vehical, boat, and plane registration numbers for clients in need. Banners, store front signage, wall words (becoming more popular), or buy some cheap mirros at a yard sale, clean them up and add some personal monograms to them, or poems, and sell them for 10x what you paid.

Use it to cut out paint mask vinyl stencils for airbrushing. Use it to cut card stock for scrapbooking. The list goes on.....

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
I agree use it and make some money with it. then you can invest in a larger cutter or some other needed equipment. .... JB

·
Registered
721 Posts
I can't speak to that specific brand about cutting flocked t-shirt vinyl, but I do it on my little Craft Robo with no problem.

Besides cutting vinyl for tees, bags, caps, jackets, etc., I also use sign vinyl to cut stencils for glass etching, and sticker vinyl to make small signs (like a little white wooden sign you would put in a kids room, etc.)

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I second the etching!
Glass etching using Armor Etch and vinyl as a stencil is fun, although I do have to quash the 3rd grader in me that wants to taste the special liquid :(
Great way to turn a dollar glass/mug into a piece of art. I primarily use it to do Utah mugs and shot glasses, since I couldn't find anywhere decent to really purchase em from unless I wanted a gross/144.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
that just gave me idea may be car gaskets. LOL

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I second the etching!
Glass etching using Armor Etch and vinyl as a stencil is fun, although I do have to quash the 3rd grader in me that wants to taste the special liquid :(
Great way to turn a dollar glass/mug into a piece of art. I primarily use it to do Utah mugs and shot glasses, since I couldn't find anywhere decent to really purchase em from unless I wanted a gross/144.
Etched glass???? hmmmm:rolleyes:

My wife has opened up another store adjacent to our t-shirt shop and does personalization of items such as tiles, boards, baby items, etc. and much of it is done with our vinyl cutter.

However, we've been getting alot of wedding glasses to do lately and this sounds like it could be a great addition to her business. Is there anything special required and where can we get it?

Feel free to PM me to keep this thread from going off topic.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 36" Rolland plotter, and we find new uses for it all the time - my wife has been using it for scrapbooking, we cut "rubylith" for burning screens, we cut stencils for airbrushing... not to mention all the banners, signs, vehicle graphics, etc... when you think about it, anything you can stick vinyl (or stickers) on?... any shape or size vinyl plotter is good to have around - use the crap out of it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
oh yeah, treadhead, I am not real familiar with the "chemical" etch process (I know that is available), however, I do some etching from time to time with an air brush, an air eraser to be more specific. the process is easy enough - sand blasting on a very small, detailed scale (you can cut stencils with your vinyl plotter), kinda messy with airborne particles and all, but there are spray booths available for indoor use - I just do it outside & sweep up the mess later. most good craft, hobby, or airbrush supply stores will have what you need. I think Paasche (www.paasche.com) sells more of these than anybody?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I used the sandblasting/Masking low tac vinyl to make a big stencil. I had a gig painting a hardwood basketball GYM floor logo. This thing was big and lots of pieces. After I was done they clear coated the floor. It was a beautiful thing...I wish I got pictures.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
The chemical way uses Armour Etch, you apply it with a small brush, the stuff is a bit globby and you need to make sure it's coated thoroughly. You leave it sit, they suggest for one to five minutes (one minute if you're using their glassware, five minutes for others), however I found that five minutes wasn't adequate enough and usually leave mine sit for 15-30, then you rinse it off. After it dries it looks like a very light sandblasting effect. I've attached photos of some of the items I put into our gift shop.

I just use regular sign vinyl for the stencil. I mask the design without weeding, and weed it once it's actually on the glass, as I had problems weeding smaller letters and such, it's also a bit easier to align in my opinion, since the surfaces are usually curved and transparent.

The gasket thing is a cool idea, dunno if I'd trust my cutter cutting cork and rubber though. I have an SP300, so I don't try to punish it, if I get an el-cheapo though, I'd probably give it a whirl!

Attachments

·
Registered
938 Posts
I like creating little decals too but have not sold them yet. I made the Aries Ram decal earlier today (it's my off day) and stuck it on my fridge.

This vinyl is actually very nice and has a lovely iridescent effect, but it cannot be seen in the pic. This decal could have easily been applied to metal, wood and other surfaces.

Here is what I used:

-Free Glossy Horoscope Symbols (in Vector format)

-FDC Intermediate Chameleon Vinyl

-Oratape HT55 Premask (aka "application tape")

-Lidco 4" Felt Edge Wrapped Squeegee

-Summa D75-R Cutter that is just awesome

Did I say, awesome? ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
67 Posts
I cut motorcycle engine gaskets with my Vinyl Express GC-61
How do you cut motorcycle engine gaskets?
Do you have a picture of it?

What type of material do you use for cutting stencils?

How do you get into the market of cutting airplane decals?

Any suggestions for the different sports?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts