T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

a customer gave me this image and want me to print some decal for them

can you guys give me some suggestion on how to separate this ?

thank you

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
i'd recommend doing a simulated process sep for this, will work well for decals.

something i noticed, the "16th annual" doesn't stand out very well, i'd suggest giving it an outline and making it the same green used in the rest of the design.

·
Registered
26 Posts
its a pretty straight forward sep. sep the green in a layer, sep the golden yellow, sep the black ect.

i agree with the OP in outlining the bottom text but i would outline it in the black like the other letters to make it pop.

and all that is assuming that youre printing on a light background. If they are on darker then i would throw a outline of white around the whole image first.

good luck its not that hard, should take a half hour or so.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all for the quick reply ><
forget to meantion that i dont have a sep program

is there any work around with photo shope?

thank you

jason

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i will give that a try

would this image be detail enough for doing the art work ?

coz currently this is the only file the customer gave me

thank you

·
Registered
227 Posts
ok i will give that a try

would this image be detail enough for doing the art work ?

coz currently this is the only file the customer gave me

thank you
No, not if you want a quality print. It is a 72 DPI handheld photograph of something that was drawn on paper. It doesn't even show the whole thing. You want at least a 300 DPI scan to work with (600 DPI would be better).

BTW, that image has gradients, so there is more to it than just separating the colors if you want to go the spot color route. You are going to need halftones to represent the gradients (if you have RIP software it can generate the halftones for you when printed onto the films).

·
Registered
45 Posts
yes I overlooked the gradients, instead of just filling the seperated color layers with black, you can drop the saturation so it is greyscale, and up the contrast, then convert the image to greyscale then bitmap and set your halftone screen up. heres a link I got on this board while searching that walks you through outputting halftones from PS. Photoshop Halftone Effects The Design Playbook
Obviously since the image is pretty low quality, you most likely will have to clean up some lines, and possibly redo the gradients, which if you are charging for design work, which you most definitely should be, shouldn't be too big a deal.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Obviously since the image is pretty low quality, you most likely will have to clean up some lines, and possibly redo the gradients, which if you are charging for design work, which you most definitely should be, shouldn't be too big a deal.
He would have to redo everything (i.e., trace it), either in a vector program or in a 300 DPI or higher raster document. There is no way to make 72 DPI print out cleanly/sharply. 72 DPI is intended for viewing on a computer monitor (which is why it is the most common DPI for web content), not for printing. Then there is also the problem with the picture not even showing all of the artwork.

Before trying to redo the art (which would take forever and only be roughly accurate to the original), he should ask whoever gave it to him for a high DPI scan of it, or to bring the original in and have it scanned (assuming the OP has a scanner).

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He would have to redo everything (i.e., trace it), either in a vector program or in a 300 DPI or higher raster document. There is no way to make 72 DPI print out cleanly/sharply. 72 DPI is intended for viewing on a computer monitor (which is why it is the most common DPI for web content), not for printing. Then there is also the problem with the picture not even showing all of the artwork.

Before trying to redo the art (which would take forever and only be roughly accurate to the original), he should ask whoever gave it to him for a high DPI scan of it, or to bring the original in and have it scanned (assuming the OP has a scanner).
Ya i try contacting the customer to see if they can scan or provide me with a better picture
but they just told me that is all they have.

initially i have thought about redo the design into vector ( Which i really dont want to spend the time to do )

i will try again to see if they can provide me with a better picture.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts