T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I am going to ask some questios that I know have been asked. I am new to t-shirts and was wondering the best way to make them with out screen printing. Too messy for me and take to much room. We are just starting out and we are using vinyl and heat press, but not sure how to do small multi color runs. I read about HP inkjets and transfer paper, and the only thing I can think about is the cheap store bought crap you see people wearing sometimes, iron on at home, and you can see the whole 8.5x11 sheet they printed on. I have some racing customers that want race shirts with there cars and things, and I have no clue. PLEASE HELP ME. Thank you

·
Registered
167 Posts
Re: Questions, NEW TO SHIRTS. PLEASE HELP

look at the forums for direct to garment printing DTG. Beware of sticker shock. Small footprint, good results and the prices range from a used yugo to a new lambo.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Re: Questions, NEW TO SHIRTS. PLEASE HELP

One of the good brands of inkjet paper, JetPro Soft Stretch, etc., works great on light colored garments. The JPSS background is very light and comes off completely with one washing. Any inkjet with pigment ink will make good transfers. God Bless.

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
OK, I am going to ask some questios that I know have been asked. I am new to t-shirts and was wondering the best way to make them with out screen printing. Too messy for me and take to much room. We are just starting out and we are using vinyl and heat press, but not sure how to do small multi color runs. I read about HP inkjets and transfer paper, and the only thing I can think about is the cheap store bought crap you see people wearing sometimes, iron on at home, and you can see the whole 8.5x11 sheet they printed on. I have some racing customers that want race shirts with there cars and things, and I have no clue. PLEASE HELP ME. Thank you
These 2 posts will layout the different methods to print t-shirts and the pros and cons of each:

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t48532.html

http://www.t-shirtforums.com/general-t-shirt-selling-discussion/t37985.html

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Read the threads Rodney gave you for sure, also the other advice given is good as well, and take some time searching and reading up on those things. But, I think you will end up finding out, especially for the market you mention (the racing crowd) you will find screen printing is the way you ultimately want to go.

Obviously, other printing methods can get you shirts in full color that look good, but the issue is price point and durability. Race fans are not going to be happy with a shirt that is not durable, and usually you will need a less expensive price point and dark shirts. If you can get away with white shirts then sublimation is an excellent way to go and still hit a good price point. But if you need dark shirts, then sublimation gets expensive while screen printing stays cheap.

DTG and the other methods don't give you the durability of screen printing or sublimation in full color, or, they don't offer full color if they have durability.

I know it is not the answer you wanted, but I think you need screen printing or sublimation for the racing/automotive/biker type markets. They are the only printing methods that let a person just throw a shirt in the wash without worrying about anything. DTG comes pretty close, but not quite there yet in garment price or durability.

·
Registered
214 Posts
This question can only be answered by you!

Everyone has there own opinions of which one is best. Personally I like dye sub but if your not doing a lot then it because a hassle with cloggs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts